Fractoluminescence and ChatGPT (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:42
Fractoluminescence or Triboluminescence?

I have a lifelong quest which chat GPT has completed for me. See below my exchange with chat GPT which is impressive and arrived at the correct solution after several iterations.

Uncle Gizmo
When two pieces of flint collide and cause a spark what is this called?

ChatGPT
When two pieces of flint collide and generate a spark, it is commonly referred to as "flint and steel" or "striking flint." This method has been historically used for starting fires by rapidly striking the edge of a flint stone against a piece of steel, such as an iron striker or a hardened knife blade. The friction and impact between the two materials create sparks due to the flint's hardness and the steel's ability to shave off tiny particles of the flint, which ignite when exposed to the air. This technique was widely employed before the invention of modern lighters and matches.

Uncle Gizmo
That is not correct because I said two pieces of flint which are silicon oxide and this does not oxide when impacted and a chip broken off. There is another effect. Can you name it?

ChatGPT
I apologize for the confusion. When two pieces of flint (silicon dioxide) collide and cause a spark, the phenomenon is commonly known as "percussion sparking" or "flint-on-flint sparking." This effect occurs due to the brittle nature of flint. When two flint pieces collide forcefully, the impact generates a high amount of localized pressure, causing a fracture and the ejection of tiny fragments. These fragments rapidly heat up due to the friction generated during the collision, resulting in a spark. This process is often used in flintlock firearms, where a striking mechanism hits a piece of flint against a steel plate to produce sparks that ignite gunpowder.

Uncle Gizmo
There is a scientific name for this process.

ChatGPT
I apologize for the confusion. The scientific name for the process you are referring to is "pyroelectric effect." The pyroelectric effect is the ability of certain materials, such as flint (silicon dioxide), to generate an electric charge or voltage when subjected to a change in temperature. In the case of flint-on-flint sparking, the impact and friction between two flint pieces cause a rapid change in temperature, leading to the generation of an electric charge. This charge can accumulate and discharge as a spark. The pyroelectric effect is commonly observed in various materials and has applications in sensors, detectors, and other electronic devices.

Uncle Gizmo
The pyro electric effect is due to heating or cooling and is not the correct term for impact generated spark

ChatGPT
Apologies for the confusion. You are correct that the pyroelectric effect is related to the change in temperature, rather than impact. The term "impact-generated spark" or "impact ignition" is more appropriate for the specific scenario you described. When two pieces of flint collide and generate a spark through impact, it is commonly referred to as impact-generated spark or impact ignition. This terminology emphasizes the role of mechanical impact in producing the spark, as opposed to heat-induced effects like the pyroelectric effect.

Uncle Gizmo
There is a scientific term to describe this effect. That's what I'm after the scientific term...

ChatGPT
I apologize for the confusion. The scientific term for the effect you are referring to is "triboelectric effect." The triboelectric effect is the phenomenon where certain materials become electrically charged when they come into contact and then separate, creating a potential difference or static electricity. When two pieces of flint collide and separate, the triboelectric effect can generate an electric charge that leads to a spark. The triboelectric effect is commonly observed in various materials and is responsible for static electricity and similar phenomena.

Uncle Gizmo
The triboelectric effect. Requires 2 dissimilar materials in the case, I describe the materials are the same silicon dioxide

ChatGPT
I apologize for the confusion caused by my previous responses. You are correct that the triboelectric effect typically occurs between two dissimilar materials. Since the materials you mentioned (both pieces of flint) are the same (silicon dioxide), the triboelectric effect would not be the appropriate scientific term in this case.

In the specific scenario of two identical pieces of flint colliding and generating a spark, the phenomenon is typically referred to as "impact-induced fractoluminescence" or "triboluminescence." Triboluminescence is the emission of light that occurs when certain materials are subjected to mechanical impact, friction, or breaking. It is often observed in crystals, including certain forms of silicon dioxide (such as flint). The impact and fracture of the flint crystals release stored energy, causing the emission of light in the form of a spark.

Therefore, "impact-induced fractoluminescence" or "triboluminescence" would be the appropriate scientific terms to describe the generation of a spark when two pieces of flint (silicon dioxide) collide.

Uncle Gizmo
Thank you very much. Chat GPT I think We have now at the correct term. When I was a boy I observed flints impacting each other on a gravel washing plant. It was dusk and I could observe the faint spark. I was particularly intrigued because the gravel was soaking wet! I asked everyone about this and I think they thought I was mistaken. However, one chap, Mr. Horn told me the word. I forgot this word but I knew it sounded something like effervescent and deliquescent, terms familiar to me from school. Over the years I have tried to discover the name for this effect without success. Now you have revealed it, so I am very impressed. I know you're not a real person but you've got my thumbs up!

ChatGPT
You're very welcome! I'm glad I could provide you with the correct term and help solve the mystery you've been curious about for so long. It's fascinating how observations like the one you made during your childhood can spark curiosity and lead to a quest for knowledge. Mr. Horn's guidance was invaluable in pointing you in the right direction.

I'm thrilled that I could assist you in rediscovering the term "triboluminescence" and bring back those memories. While I may not be a real person, I'm here to provide information and assist with your inquiries. Your thumbs up means a lot, and I'm delighted that I could be of help. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Uncle Gizmo
You have given me two terms for this effect:- Fractoluminescence and Triboluminescence. You seem to prefer the second term, but I prefer the first term because of the fracturable nature of flint. What do you think??

ChatGPT
You make a valid point regarding the term "fractoluminescence" and its connection to the fracturable nature of flint. I apologize for any confusion caused by the multiple terms provided.

Both "triboluminescence" and "fractoluminescence" are used to describe the phenomenon of light emission resulting from mechanical impact or fracturing of certain materials. The choice between the two terms can depend on the specific context and preference.

"Triboluminescence" is the more widely recognized and commonly used term in scientific literature and discussions. It is a broader term that encompasses the phenomenon of light emission resulting from various mechanical actions, including friction, impact, or breaking.

"Fractoluminescence" is a term that specifically emphasizes the generation of light from the fracturing or breaking of a material. Given the brittle nature of flint and its tendency to fracture, "fractoluminescence" can indeed be a suitable term to highlight this aspect.

Ultimately, the choice of terminology can depend on personal preference or the specific context in which the effect is being discussed. Both terms capture the essence of the phenomenon you observed with flint impacting each other.

Uncle Gizmo
Thank you for the clarification

ChatGPT
You're welcome! I'm glad I could provide clarification and assist you. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Happy exploring and discovering!

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:42
Tony,
Triboluminescence ... Interesting. Also interesting is the word "tribology" which I heard in a TED-Talk recently, and had the "opportunity" to use it.
Here's another link on the subject.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
As it turns out the document wasn't over the forum character limit. When I copied the Chap GPT replies, I must have doubled something up with my copying and pasting. There are 7959 Characters. I have now corrected the original number one post in this thread and it should be okay. If you spot any problems, let me know!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

Very interesting link there thank you Jack! The link prompted a new question which I asked ChatGPT:-

Uncle Gizmo
Are Wint-O-Green Lifesaver and polo mints one in the same?

ChatGPT
No, Wint-O-Green Lifesavers and Polo mints are not the same. They are two different types of mint candies with distinct characteristics and brands.

Wint-O-Green Lifesavers are a type of candy produced by the Life Savers company, known for their distinct ring shape. They are round with a hole in the center and have a wintergreen flavor. Wint-O-Green Lifesavers are known for producing a spark or small burst of light when bitten in the dark, due to a phenomenon known as triboluminescence.

On the other hand, Polo mints are a brand of breath mint produced by Nestlé. They are disc-shaped with a hole in the center and have a mint flavor, specifically peppermint. Polo mints are popular in the United Kingdom and are known for their refreshing taste.

While both candies have a similar shape with a hole in the center, they differ in terms of flavor and brand. Wint-O-Green Lifesavers have a wintergreen flavor and are produced by the Life Savers company, while Polo mints have a peppermint flavor and are produced by Nestlé.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
I decided to post the above exchange with chat GPT on Twitter. As you know, Twitter has a limit on the number of characters you can put in an individual tweet. So I asked chat GPT if it could divide a text up into sizes suitable for individual tweets and it provided me with this:-

Tweet 1/21: Fractoluminescence or Triboluminescence? 🌟
I have a lifelong quest to discover the scientific term for a fascinating phenomenon. Join me on this journey as I delve into the world of flint sparks and their mesmerizing properties. #Fractoluminescence #Triboluminescence

Tweet 2/21: Uncle Gizmo: When two pieces of flint collide and cause a spark, what is this called?
ChatGPT: When two pieces of flint collide and generate a spark, it is commonly referred to as "flint and steel" or "striking flint." This method was historically used for starting fires before modern lighters and matches. #Fractoluminescence #Triboluminescence

Tweet 3/21: Uncle Gizmo: That is not correct because I said two pieces of flint, which are silicon oxide and do not oxidize when impacted. There is another effect. Can you name it?
ChatGPT: When two pieces of flint (silicon dioxide) collide and cause a spark, it is commonly known as "percussion sparking" or "flint-on-flint sparking." This effect occurs due to the brittle nature of flint, generating localized pressure and tiny fragments that rapidly heat up and produce a spark. #Fractoluminescence #Triboluminescence

Tweet 4/21: etc

It is an amazing piece of technology. I didn't tell it to add the hashtags! What a brilliant Thought it had to add them!

It is very much like dealing with a real person. Somebody very clever and supportive....

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Chat GPT also came up with the introduction text itself. I didn't write that chatGPT did!

This bit:- "Join me on this journey as I delve into the world of flint sparks and their mesmerizing properties. #Fractoluminescence #Triboluminescence.."

I wish I could write like that. I'd be impressed with myself!

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 09:42
ChatGPT
You're welcome! I'm glad I could provide clarification and assist you. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Happy exploring and discovering!
Wow it's much more cheery with you than with me. I suppose that's because I criticized it over several overtly biased responses I received, which it then admitted to - which probably made it feel humiliated and resentful. Darn AI !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom