Free speech vs Censorship

@The_Doc_Man To bring up the egg question is a good point. But let us take it one step further, to the level of the cell. Is the cell itself conscious? Could that cell, with a low level of consciousness, pass it on to a higher order entity? One cell - with little consciousness - when aggregated into millions of cell - is conscious, if it is a brain. But maybe also anything with a cell has a level of consciousness to it.

Can a paralysed person self adjust, or do you not consider them conscious because you cannot observe movement?

Last edited:
Even paralyzed persons normally can react or show non-trivial responses and respond to the 20-questions game. The ONLY time I've ever heard of a person being unable to react was if they were unconscious, catatonic, brain damaged, heavily drugged, or a victim of "locked in" syndrome (VERY rare). Self-adjust means you won't mechanically give the same answer every time you are asked the same question. At least once, the self-adjusting person might respond "you asked me that already - don't waste my time"

Asking if a single cell is conscious is like asking if a given transistor is a computer. Consciousness, if it is a second-order emergent phenomenon, doesn't apply to the parts but only to the whole.

A neuron is a single cell, but by itself it only fires or does not fire. Yet it is your neurons that make your brain what it is. The single-cell question applies even to neurons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom