Frustrated-Need a little help... (1 Viewer)

Sergeant

Someone's gotta do it
Local time
Today, 11:36
I have read a lot and learned a lot here about ACCESS. A big THANKS goes out to all of you.

I am writing to you from Okinawa, with a problem that my (military) Work Group Managers cannot help me with...
I have recently had my workstation reformatted, and right after, I couldn't open my database. I used the MS knowledge base and tried a fix listed there. The "system" file was missing, which I copied and installed in the office folder. That was a partial fix, as the database will open, but I still get the initial error of:
"Cannot find the file 'X:\[...]\718TRACKER.mdb' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."
But the database opens, and is usable.
I also cannot evoke any wizards (I tried installing the ACWZtool file, which was missing...to no avail).
I have also had a problem with EXCEL, after doing a query into my ACCESS database table to make a spreadsheet. The query worked, but when I exited EXCEL and tried to re-open, I just got the shell of EXCEL, with a big hole in the middle where the spreadsheet should be. It gave all indications that the spreadsheet was open, but all I could see there was my desktop.
Does this stuff ring any bells for anyone?
Thanks a million,
Sergeant
USAF-Okinawa

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 16:36
I think you need to start again! What made you need to reformat in the first place.

If your hard disk was formatted and Office was properly reinstalled, you shouldn't have to mess about moving files around.

The problem with Excel sounds like a memory problem. Maybe your problems are hardware rather than software.

Sergeant

Someone's gotta do it
Local time
Today, 11:36
Thanks for your quick response. Why did I have to reformat? Wasn't my idea...after service pack 3 was installed, it kept dropping the LAN driver each time you log off. When my WGM tried the local administrator password, he found that he could not log on locally...the password was a mystery. Can't have that! Must reformat!@
So, the office 2k got loaded from shared LAN folder, and hasn't worked right since. I got a disk from one of the higher level LAN guys, and I'm gonna have my local "professionals" try that today. He also mentioned clearing the "registry" before reinstalling. Any advice on that?
BTW, a new one yesterday...tried to open local front end of database from desktop and got a memory failure. Opened database via back end, worked fine (except for initial message box described earlier)
Gotta go,
Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom