Frustration over a Fitbit and Spotify (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:51
My sweetie has a Fitbit which monitors heart rate and also counts her steps. Does some other things. For the last couple of days, it kept on asking her to log in to Spotify. It wouldn't let her get beyond that login screen. She claims to have never created a Spotify account so this puzzled her badly. It made her Fitbit unusable because those shenanigans.

I finally went online and figured out how to fix that. I'll leave tracks, just in case anyone else has a headache over this combination.

From the Android phone, call up the Fitbit App.
Upper left corner is the "Fitbit account" touchpoint. Tap that.
You get a list of options, the top of which is your Fitbit account details. Tap the account slot.
It takes you to an array of six different possible things with which Fitbit can interact. One of them is Spotify. Despite her claim to have never asked for a Spotify account, it seemed to think that she actually had one.
Tap that Spotify icon.
It will give you the option to uninstall... which clears up that problem.

I immediately did that and now the problem has been fixed. The only thing left is this question:

Have any of you noted a case where Fitbit updates "auto-installed" Spotify?

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 04:51
It does not surprise me that sometimes "options" self-select. It's not uncommon (although in a quite different application) to get "Welcome to our mailing list. We're glad you joined." emails, for example. Sometimes even otherwise reputable companies do that. Most offer an unsubscribe option, but the truly pernicious ones seem to think that's just a confirmation you got their first email.

Again, a different application, but I made changes to my AT&T account a few months ago and have been getting regular texts and emails wondering why I didn't active this and that bonus content now available to me. Free for the first month, of course.

I put it all down to the intrusive nature of our current connected world and the vast data collection going on.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:51
Oh, the motivation isn't a surprise. They are trying to chase up some new customers, new business. It's just that using an "automatic" and totally unsolicited enrollment to FORCE someone to log in? That is over the line in my book.

kandert

Local time
Today, 14:51
My sweetie has a Fitbit which monitors heart rate and also counts her steps. Does some other things. For the last couple of days, it kept on asking her to log in to Spotify. It wouldn't let her get beyond that login screen. She claims to have never created a Spotify account so this puzzled her badly. It made her Fitbit unusable because those shenanigans.

I finally went online and figured out how to fix that. I'll leave tracks, just in case anyone else has a headache over this combination.

From the Android phone, call up the Fitbit App.
Upper left corner is the "Fitbit account" touchpoint. Tap that.
You get a list of options, the top of which is your Fitbit account details. Tap the account slot.
It takes you to an array of six different possible things with which Fitbit can interact. One of them is Spotify. Despite her claim to have never asked for a Spotify account, it seemed to think that she actually had one.
Tap that Spotify icon.
It will give you the option to uninstall... which clears up that problem.
I think online communities are a great way to build your brand https://www.heyday.net/blog/heyday-overview-types-of-online-communities-for-you-branding and connect with your customers. I joined the Fitbit community a few months ago and I love it. I can get tips, support, and motivation from other Fitbit users. I also like that Fitbit integrates with Spotify, so I can listen to my favorite playlists while I work out. Spotify also has a community where I can discover new music and share my opinions. I think both Fitbit and Spotify do a good job of creating online brand communities that are engaging, helpful, and fun
I immediately did that and now the problem has been fixed. The only thing left is this question:

Have any of you noted a case where Fitbit updates "auto-installed" Spotify?
I’m glad you found a solution to your problem. I have a Fitbit Versa 2 and I use Spotify Premium on it. I love being able to control my music and podcasts from my wrist. However, I also experienced the same issue as you a few weeks ago. My Fitbit kept asking me to log in to Spotify, even though I was already logged in. It was very annoying and frustrating. I tried restarting my Fitbit and my phone, but nothing worked. I contacted Fitbit support and they told me that it was a known bug that affected some users after a recent firmware update. They said they were working on a fix and advised me to uninstall and reinstall the Spotify app on my Fitbit. I followed their instructions and it solved the problem for me. I haven’t had any issues since then. I hope this helps anyone who is facing the same problem. I wonder why Fitbit updates cause such glitches sometimes.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 04:51
Very interesting thread. Thanks for posting both your frustration and solution, Doc.
I'm an oddball, I still use Pandora - it's absolutely perfect for me in all regards. I pay the $10/mo for premium, so I can call up any music on demand, or play its train-able stations which I still find one of the most amazingly functioning predictive learning stuff out there!

I have a cheap fossil smartwatch (which also has all the health stuff) so don't know much about Fitbits, but sounds like a lot of bundling going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom