Generate Query from Checkbox Selection (1 Viewer)

OzoneLair

Local time
Yesterday, 21:26
Hello,

I'm somewhat new to MS Access and have the 2010 version trying to figure out a small detail and was hoping to find some help on this site. I would like to create a query by using a multiple selection of check boxes.

For instance, lets just say I have a table/query with a list of names and three sizes associated, such as "Big", "Medium", and "Small".. I would like to create a checklist on a form where I can click 1, 2, or even all 3 options and return a query that has the records of the options that I've checked on the check boxes.

Can anyone help me? I've been trying to figure this out for a few hours now and think that I could be over thinking things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ozone

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:26
Welcome to the forum.

You can use something along the lines of the following in your query Criteria;
Code:
[URL="http://www.techonthenet.com/access/functions/advanced/iif.php"]Iif[/URL](Forms!YourFormName!YourOptionGroup = 1, "Big", Iif(Forms!YourFormName!YourOptionGroup = 2, "Medium", "Small"))

Another way, given that you only have the three options, would be to create three separate queries and simply run the one appropriate to the Option Group selection.

OzoneLair

Local time
Thank you for the fast reply.

The truth is that I will be making this much more of a complex search, this is only a dummy database and if I can figure out how to add the functionality I want, I can copy it into the larger, more complex database I am creating.

I would like to have it so that I can also select multiple options, instead of one or the other. I wish I understood VBA a little better, but for now, just looking for some insight into how I can go about this.

Thanks,
Ozone

OzoneLair

Local time
This is what I got so far - I feel like I am closer, but it's not doing what I want it to do.. What am I doing wrong?

FYI - I have 3 checkboxes (Oxide, Hydronium, and Lithium) and 1 button (Enter) to execute the event which opens a report (rptChemicals), hopefully with the filters applied to it via the 3 selected or unselected checkboxes..

Option Compare Database

Private Sub Enter_Click()

Dim stDocName As String
Dim strSQLWhere As String

strSQLWhere = ""

If Forms!Checkboxes![Oxide] = -1 Then strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & "'Oxide'"

If Forms!Checkboxes![Hydronium] = -1 Then strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & "'Hydronium'"

If Forms!Checkboxes![Lithium] = -1 Then strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & "'Lithium'"

If Me.Oxide.Value = False Then
If strSQLWhere = "" Then strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & "'Oxide'"
Else
strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & " and " & "'Oxide'"
End If

If Me.Hydronium.Value = False Then
If strSQLWhere = "" Then strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & "'Hydronium'"
Else
strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & " and " & "'Hydronium'"
End If

If Me.Lithium.Value = False Then
If strSQLWhere = "" Then strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & "'Lithium'"
Else
strSQLWhere = strSQLWhere & " and " & "'Lithium'"
End If

stDocName = "rptChemicals"
DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , "wc =" & strSQLWhere
Exit_Enter_Click:
Exit Sub

End Sub

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:26
I would strongly recommend that you have a look at the sample I linked to in my previous post, specifically the Query that is driving the List Box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom