Getting Excel onto iPhone 6 Plus...but some form of MS Office would be need?? (1 Viewer)

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:32
It is easy to simply email and Excel file to the phone. But you can't do anything with it.

My idea is to feed Excel from Access and that .xls file would go to the phone. But to be of use I would need to be able to change values in the .xls file. I could then email that back and have it up date Access.

zpy2

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:32
if i understand what you mean, i think you need a web app to update back end access database instead of through excel from both pc and smart phone.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:32
if i understand what you mean, i think you need a web app to update back end access database instead of through excel from both pc and smart phone.

I got onto this track because someone I made an Access application that among other things feed Excel cells and when Excel is closed (opened by Access and Access still open) it feeds the cell values back to Access. Thus if a cell value is changed that goes back to Access field.

So on paper it would be real easy if I can get Excel on the iPhone but whereby cell values can be altered.

One problem is I am very clumsy with the iPhone 6 Plus. Bought it January and just see what the smart phone thing was all about. However, I have hardly used it so far:)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 22:32
The OS on mobile phones will never allow real applications or VBA to run. It isn't a bad thing, it is just not what they were designed for.
Citrix has some seminars that allow mobile to connect to a server where Office products run in a virtual sandbox over a thin-client.
Microsoft actually offers this as one of its Office 365 options, but they made it so complex to understand and worse, they require a large group licensing (no individual) to qualify for it.

Citrix seems to understand the advantage of reaching out to smaller developers and is running seminars. With that said, they may need a couple of years to actually figure it out.

For now, it might be a subscribed Citrix service with a SILK web interface. A 5 concurrent user license pack shared might go a long way?

e.g. https://www.citrix.com/products/xenmobile/tech-info/worx-mobile-apps.html

Quick Edit: QuickEdit is an easy-to-use editing tool on your mobile devices, allowing you to edit documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
Open, view, create and edit Microsoft® Word, Excel® and PowerPoint® files

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom