GettingnStarted with Access (1 Viewer)

iam trying

Local time
Today, 15:29
Getting Started with db

I need some help with getting started using Access. I volunteer for a charity which has a silent auction each year. In the past the check out process has consisted of us gathering the winning bid slips, &manually calculating the amount due. This year I wanted to create an access database to speed up the check out process. Here’s what I need help with, I have pre-assigned bid numbers that are use to identify a person (Bid number 12345 = John Smith) I know this before the auction begins, I also have a list of items that include: An item number, an item description, the table location of the item. I know this data before the auction as well. What I’m trying to do is create two things. First I think I need form to assign winning items to a bid number, so that when a person checks out I can look up all the items they won &then calculate the amount due. Once the auction is complete the Bidders sit down for dinner (about 1 hour) so in that time I need to take all the items won assign them to bid numbers, with a field to insert amount due, Then once the person checks out I want call up their bid number that has an itemized list of what the won, &how much is due. Can anyone get me started on this? Thank you for your time

Last edited:

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
iam,

You're going to need tables like this:

tblClients:
BidNumber - AutoNumber
ClientName
Address
Telephone

tblItems:
ItemID - AutoNumber
ItemName
BidNumber - Who bought it (tblClients)
StartingPrice
SellingPrice
SellingDate

This approach means that your clients
can purchase many items. But an item
can only have one purchaser.

Then when a client leaves, just enter
the BidNumber, todays date, and the
purchased items show up on a form.

Reports could show a clients purchases
over the last day, week, month ...

Wayne

iam trying

Local time
Thank you , its beginning to make sense, But I do not understand two things, How are the tables related, If I have to assign a Bid#, and the table location is pre-assigned as well, I can have the Item number be an Autonumber, but not the Bid Number, Then How do I relate the two tables? Each time I try to do this it doen not work. How can I relate the tables? When I create the forms I cannot apply a filter - I try to apply a filter to look up bid numbers and my form goes blank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom