Goto Specific Record (1 Viewer)

fosterg100

Local time
Yesterday, 23:06
Hi
I have a simple form, with a sub form in it.
All info is based on the same table, but the main form is for adding new records, and editing existing records etc.
The Sub form is in datasheet view and just lists all the records with specific fields and is not for editing purposes.

I am after a way of double clicking the "RefNo" field in the subform, and then the main form going to the same record.

I have looked through the threads, but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance.
Foster

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Foster. Have you tried using a Split Form? Just curious...

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:06
Hi Foster. Have you tried using a Split Form? Just curious...

A split form insists on the same controls in the main as the split.? A huge drawback IMHO. The ESF does not, and takes about 3 lines of code to implement.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
A split form insists on the same controls in the main as the split.? A huge drawback IMHO. The ESF does not, and takes about 3 lines of code to implement.

Hi Gasman. I'm not in front of a computer now to verify, but although the default behavior is to show all the columns in the datasheet section, I was thinking it's possible to persuade it to hide some of them. No?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I tried when I first used 2007. I thought the split form was a neat feature.
I mainly use it as the O/P wishes to use it, and the datasheet part is read only.

However I found that remove a control from one, and it goes from the other? :(

I also found some weird befhaviour in my last place of work, where I did have a split form as the different number of controls was not an issue in that case. I did plan to change it to an ESF, but never got around to it, before I was made redundant. :)

If you find a way around it, I'd love to know how, but as the ESF in it's simplest form is so easy to implement, I think I would still stick with that for the purposes I am likely to use it for.?

fosterg100

Local time
Hi
Many thanks for the replies.
I have just looked at the split form (didn't know you could do that to be honest) and that does the job, but as mentioned it does show all the fields which is too many, so I will look at the ESF method when I get a chance.

Thanks again!
Foster

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi
Many thanks for the replies.
I have just looked at the split form (didn't know you could do that to be honest) and that does the job, but as mentioned it does show all the fields which is too many, so I will look at the ESF method when I get a chance.

Thanks again!
Foster

Hi Foster/Gasman. When I get in front of a computer today, I will take a look and let you know. Cheers!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi Foster/Gasman. As promised, here's a quick demo of what I was thinking about.

Just to be clear though, I am not saying/recommending to use or not to use split forms. I am just saying it's there as an option. I always say one should go with what one is comfortable using.

Attachments

• splitform.png
    splitform.png
    76 KB · Views: 142
  • SplitFormDemo.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 50

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Nicely done:cool:

But how is it done please?:confused:

Edit: Ok, I see how it is done.

Good to know.

Thank you.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Nicely done:cool:

But how is it done please?:confused:
Hi Gasman. I "hinted" on it in my post earlier. I simply "hid" the columns I didn't want to show up. I had it in my head when I made the suggestion, but couldn't verify it until I get in front of a computer. Cheers!

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yes, edited my post.

So the O/P could go with the split form and if they have any further problems with it, swap to an ESF.

fosterg100

Local time
That's great guys, thank you very much, problem sorted!!

Foster

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom