Guide to US tourists generally

Sadly Lisa - some (not all) of your countrymen (and women) do dress like this (in London) they are also loud and brash and like shouting at people as if we're deaf - I have experienced it myself.
I was stopped by an American man and lady in London and true to form he said "Hey Buddy!! which way to Bucking - ham Palace?" . . . . . . .Buddy?? I've never even met the man let alone be his "Buddy"!!

Thats why the US State Dept has issued the guidelines, they are trying to advise American tourists to "blend in" a little more - those guidelines are real, I didn't make it up.

Col

ColinEssex said:
Sadly Lisa - some (not all) of your countrymen (and women) do dress like this (in London) they are also loud and brash and like shouting at people as if we're deaf - I have experienced it myself.
I was stopped by an American man and lady in London and true to form he said "Hey Buddy!! which way to Bucking - ham Palace?" . . . . . . .Buddy?? I've never even met the man let alone be his "Buddy"!!

Thats why the US State Dept has issued the guidelines, they are trying to advise American tourists to "blend in" a little more - those guidelines are real, I didn't make it up.

Col

If they do act like that, maybe they do need to be culled...:eek: ;)

ColinEssex said:

Col

Well, Colin, as an American, I feel compelled to apologize for the lack of manners on the part of these countrymen. What a crappy example to set when visiting a foreign country. I can speak for my family, since my sister has travelled abroad, and they make every effort to blend in, by not wearing jeans or strictly American clothes. When they were in Rome, my niece was even mistaken as a native Italian.

The funny thing is that I have travelled to some warm, beachy locations, and I have never really seen any "touristy" looking people, even on our own soil. I mean, why would they wear that kind of get-up to London, and not to the ocean? Strange.

Lisa

Lisa, I also have to say that the majority of Americans I have met have been extremely polite (yes sir, yes ma'am) and are often more polite and courteous than we are. Sadly in our effort to be friendly we do say to Canadians "which part of the USA are you from?" because we can't tell the different accents.

When a certain element of British people go abroad - like to Spain or Greece - they are intent on getting drunk and fighting and smashing things up - we too are embarrassed by some of our tourists - they are of a neanderthal yobbish culture who should be strung up:mad: You wait till the world cup in Germany in June, it'll be like a battleground. The English yobs will want to fight the Germans and will end up being deported.:rolleyes:

Col

ColinEssex said:
...When a certain element of British people go abroad - like to Spain or Greece - they are intent on getting drunk and fighting and smashing things up -

They'd be hard to pick out of the crowd if they went to southern redneck bar then... :eek: :p

lmnop7854 said:
why would they wear that kind of get-up to London, and not to the ocean? Strange.

Lisa
It was near Hyde Park - maybe they'd been sunbathing near the Serpentine (a big lake)

It cracked me up when they said "Bucking - ham":D - I was like "sorry - you want to go where?":D :D

Col

ColinEssex said:
It cracked me up when they said "Bucking - ham":D - I was like "sorry - you want to go where?":D :D

Col

Ok... you'll have to spell the correct prounounciation out for me phonetically.... I'd likely prounouce it the same way. :(

Would it be Buckenhum?
Please enlighten..... :o

TessB said:
Ok... you'll have to spell the correct prounounciation out for me phonetically.... I'd likely prounouce it the same way. :(

Would it be Buckenhum?
Please enlighten..... :o
It's just Buckingham, all one word with no break in the middle;)

ColinEssex said:
You wait till the world cup in Germany in June, it'll be like a battleground. Col

I wonder what they'd be like if we played ice hockey:eek: ;)

Col,
In some parts of the US “buddy” is just a way to try to be friendly to strangers.

Like when you get panhandled.

"Hey buddy,you got a cigarette? My wife's out of work."

Hey buddy can you spare a dime, seems to ring in my ears from somewhere:confused: ;)

Rich said:
Hey buddy can you spare a dime, seems to ring in my ears from somewhere:confused: ;)

I was in Albuquerque, NM last week and the town is full of homeless people. I must have been stopped 30 times by panhandlers. Every one of them claimed to be a homeless veteran. Got on my nerves after awhile...

jsanders said:
Col,
In some parts of the US “buddy” is just a way to try to be friendly to strangers.

If I was in New York I would say it as we say it in the UK "Excuse me, I wonder if you can help me? Can you direct me to the Empire State Building please?

Like when you get panhandled.
:confused:

"Hey buddy,you got a cigarette? My wife's out of work."
I'd say "Think about it - Will a cigarette help her get work?"

How about the famous USA question "Hey, you got a light Mac?"

"No, I have a dark raincoat";) :D

Any UK name that has "Ham" or "shire" as a suffix are not separate words "Bucking-Ham" is Buckingham and "Worcester-shire" is Worcestershire
all one word:rolleyes:

Col

ColinEssex said:
Any UK name that has "Ham" or "shire" as a suffix are not separate words "Bucking-Ham" is Buckingham and "Worcester-shire" is Worcestershire

Col

You should here them pronounce Launceston :eek: :D

ColinEssex said:
If I was in New York I would say it as we say it in the UK "Excuse me, I wonder if you can help me? Can you direct me to the Empire State Building please?

:confused:

I'd say "Think about it - Will a cigarette help her get work?"

How about the famous USA question "Hey, you got a light Mac?"

"No, I have a dark raincoat";) :D

Col

Panhandled: Approached by street beggars

Hello ‘my wife’s out of work “is the greatest insult, you normally say it as a jibe to someone you know who is bumming from you, and they’re always conveniently out of smokes.

As in; “I’m such a bum, and my wife stopped giving me smokes”.

hehehe Col you're a riot. I just got it. hehehe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom