Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 01:54
If there were fewer guns, there absolutely would be fewer murders. How could there not be? The problem is, it's too late. The US criminals have far too many guns. It's unlikely they would be willing to give them up, even if asked nicely.

The criminals have guns here too, but they tend to use them against each other although occasionally an innocent gets caught in the crossfire, being armed wouldn't help if you are caught unexpectedly.

Adam, nor his mother were criminals, so yes removing guns from the general populace will probably save lives.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Another thought crosses my mind.

A person I know was mugged for money he was carrying, it was dark and he was collecting money from householders. He was hit with a hammer from behind , he did not see his assailant who grabbed the money whilst he was groggy and ran off. He had concussion but no lasting damage, but what if he might have been armed? I suggest that his attacker would have repeatedly hit him to ensure that he could not pull his gun and shoot as he made his escape.

Brian

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 10:54
The criminals have guns here too, but they tend to use them against each other although occasionally an innocent gets caught in the crossfire, being armed wouldn't help if you are caught unexpectedly.

Adam, nor his mother were criminals, so yes removing guns from the general populace will probably save lives.

Brian

This is what happens in Aus. We have regular shootings involving the Underground and Bike Gangs. This is usually fighting over turf.

We don't have someone who suddenly goes off the deep end and grabs one or two assult rifles then shoots a bunch of young children at a school.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You Americans make me laugh. All the way through this thread there is talk of 'criminals' having guns, yet there is always a hint of 'nobody is taking my gun away'.

If there is a gun or many guns in the house, it doesn't have to be a criminal who kills. It can be many reasons, stress, alcohol, an argument, having an affair with the neighbour.

In other words a perfectly sane law abiding person could, if driven to it, kill someone in a fit of peak.

There are too many guns available easily in the USA, even if it was made illegal to buy any gun by anyone it would be too late, the horse has long bolted. Anyway the NRA will ensure the 2nd amendment will not change.

Many people will continue to die in the USA because of the gun, you need to accept it as a a consequence of the lax gun control. Just as people will be killed in car accidents as a consequence of inventing the car.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
"It is too late " is a poor response.

If your horse has bolted you will attempt to get it back and shut the door, not do nothing.

Brian

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 10:54

If your horse has bolted you will attempt to get it back and shut the door, not do nothing.
Brian

How long would it take to remove these high powered rifles and to make it Mandatory for ever gun owner to be Licensed and for each of their weapons to be registered.

Could it be done in 5 Years?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Brian

"Not do nothing" is a double negative. I expect better from you.

Anyway, the horse bolted back in the gunslinging days of the Wild West, so it's dead and irretrievable.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
"not do nothing" is perfect English, it means that you would do something.
Double negatives are at times more appropriate than a positive, but there are some who cannot appreciate the nuances of language.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
That is not the way it comes across in your comment.

However, if you feel it is perfect English, then so be it. There's no point in arguing about it, just put it down to regional differences.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 20:54

However, if you feel it is perfect English, then so be it. There's no point in arguing about it, just put it down to regional differences.

Col

Actually, I believe "not do nothing" was absolutely correct in this scenario. It shows emphases on the fact that he would NOT do nothing. If he just said "do something," it wouldn't come across the same. I believe Brian is correct. Double negatives are sometimes appropriate when stressing a point.

Vassago

Local time
Anyway the NRA will ensure the 2nd amendment will not change.

Many people will continue to die in the USA because of the gun, you need to accept it as a a consequence of the lax gun control. Just as people will be killed in car accidents as a consequence of inventing the car.

Col

However, I do see some cause for concern here. "Anyway" should have a comma after, otherwise it doesn't come across as a complete sentence. The first sentence of the bottom paragraph is a run-on without a proper conjunction. A semicolon or the use of ", and" would have been more appropriate. You also went double on the "a" before consequence.

I'm just a lowly American. What do I know of grammar? I'm sure you are actually correct.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time

Col

Does anybody know where the forum is on perfect English?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
However, I do see some cause for concern here. "Anyway" should have a comma after, otherwise it doesn't come across as a complete sentence. The first sentence of the bottom paragraph is a run-on without a proper conjunction. A semicolon or the use of ", and" would have been more appropriate. You also went double on the "a" before consequence.

I'm just a lowly American. What do I know of grammar? I'm sure you are actually correct.

See post 692

Vassago

Local time
Perfect English doesn't exist. I think the reasons why have been well covered here. It was never "perfected" before it spread. It's just a "copy and paste" language anyway.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Does anybody know where the forum is on perfect English?

Perhaps I should have said "correct" or " valid" .

This is an international forum and we must accept all variations and levels of English although it is irritating when English speakers make no effort to correct typos and spelling, but again the odd one will slip through.

Only those with nothing useful to say will make a big issue out of it.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
FWIW I think that US spelling usually makes more sense than UK

color instead of colour
center instead of centre ( I had to listen to a tour guide in Spain who insisted on pronouncing the r :) )

Traveler instead of traveller

But then I believe that this was a deliberate action taken during a review of the language in the US in the late 19th century, is this correct?

Brian

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Yesterday, 17:54
You Americans make me laugh...

There are too many guns available easily in the USA, even if it was made illegal to buy any gun by anyone it would be too late, the horse has long bolted. Anyway the NRA will ensure the 2nd amendment will not change.

Col
Dear Col-
It might amaze you to learn that we Americans are not just millions of identical clones of each other.
I note the frequent condescending remarks and digs in your posts, about America and Americans. And yet nobody calls you to task about your statements.
I had thought - or at least hoped - that we had evolved to a point that everyone understood that you can't tell what's in a person, just by knowing their birthplace. That who a man IS is more important than where he is FROM.
Apparently this lesson has been lost on you.
And while you cluck your tongue at all the violence in America, let's all contemplate the history of Europe and just how peaceful and tolerant all the non-Americans have proved themselves to be.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Libre
Most Americans who have been on the forum for a few years have sussed out Col, he likes to wind you up, he has been doing it for years, which is why none of the old timers bite anymore.

Brian

Vassago

Local time
Libre
Most Americans who have been on the forum for a few years have sussed out Col, he likes to wind you up, he has been doing it for years, which is why none of the old timers bite anymore.

Brian

Yep. We don't feed the trolls. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom