Hello from Scotland

slb609

Local time
Today, 02:46
Howdy - I'm Claire, a dinosaur programmer (mainframe) of some 30 years or thereabouts. I've worked in the US and the UK as a developer, and I've been working in Access for about 5/6 years - building an application for some friends for their business, to make the management work a little easier. Mostly everything is self-taught, using online forums, Allan Browne, YouTube, etc. I've also recently cross trained to Java, JS and Python, but I'm not getting much use out of that lately, but it did cement the OO style - I now understand (better than my Computer Science lecturers in the 90s ever managed to teach me) Classes, objects and the like, which helps my Access enormously.

VBA Programming is fine - the dialect is sometimes where I get stuck. Also, Access's SQL is not DB2 SQL, which rips my knitting a little sometimes. Let me code my own joins - don't be telling me they're not valid. But that's my main gripe.

This place - bizarrely I've just stumbled upon it - but it seems great. I do have a couple of items that I'm struggling with, so before I post, can someone tell me this forum's etiquette: Do I resurrect an older thread, or post a new one?

Welcome to Access World! We're so happy to have you join us as a member of our community. As the most active Microsoft Access discussion forum on the internet, with posts dating back more than 20 years, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you.

We're a friendly and helpful community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or share your own experiences with Access. We're here to support you and help you get the most out of this powerful database program.

To get started, we recommend reading the post linked below. It contains important information for all new users of the forum:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We hope you have a great time participating in the discussion and learning from other Access enthusiasts. We look forward to having you around!

Welcome to the forum :)

It is probably best to start a new thread with whatever is troubling you if you can't find the answer in an earlier thread.

Welcome aboard AWF Claire.

Generally it's better to start a new thread, unless you have an identical issue.
It's also worth looking at the similar threads section below a thread you were considering adding to, before posting.

Before I post, can someone tell me this forum's etiquette: Do I resurrect an older thread, or post a new one?

The rules here are very relaxed. If you can improve an old thread, then by all means resurrect it and add to it....

Another advantage of resurrecting an old thread is that the participants in that thread will be notified of your new query.

And posting a new thread is fine too!

Hello, Claire, and welcome to the forum.

MOST of the time, a new thread is better and gets attention SLIGHTLY quicker than a post adding on to an existing thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom