Hello (1 Viewer)

Allyj

Local time
Tomorrow, 10:46
My names Ally, I'm from NZ. I'm actually a jeweller and small business owner not a computer programmer so very much a a novice at access. I'm going through a very steep learning curve and picking up what information I can from helpful sites and forums like this one. My aim is to use access database for business purposes but I find it a bit overwhelming at times hopefully some of you clever folks CA. N shed light on some of my access problems. Thank you 😊

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 23:46
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:46
Hello, Ally, and welcome to the forum. Yes, Access can have a steep learning curve, but actually it is partly due to the learning curve of relational databases. There are indeed times when it can be overwhelming. I will suggest to you that a common practice often adopted by novices to Access involves trying to code before you are actually ready.

My late father-in-law was a carpentry contractor. His advice for carpentry also applies to the world of databases. Always work from plans (as opposed to "shooting from the hip"). Measure twice before cutting once. That is, take a slow and methodical approach. My own favorite is the old advice given by Julius Caesar in his treatise on the Gallic wars: Divide and conquer. Do things a piece at the time. Or the USA's deep South version to "never bite off more than you can chew" as a way to keep from choking.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:46
Welcome Ally! One of my daughters lives in NZ, we're hoping to visit early next year. As I'm sure you know, visitors weren't allowed in for quite a while.

Allyj

Local time
Welcome Ally! One of my daughters lives in NZ, we're hoping to visit early next year. As I'm sure you know, visitors weren't allowed in for quite a while.
Come on over! You'll have a warm welcome 😊

Allyj

Local time
Hello, Ally, and welcome to the forum. Yes, Access can have a steep learning curve, but actually it is partly due to the learning curve of relational databases. There are indeed times when it can be overwhelming. I will suggest to you that a common practice often adopted by novices to Access involves trying to code before you are actually ready.

My late father-in-law was a carpentry contractor. His advice for carpentry also applies to the world of databases. Always work from plans (as opposed to "shooting from the hip"). Measure twice before cutting once. That is, take a slow and methodical approach. My own favorite is the old advice given by Julius Caesar in his treatise on the Gallic wars: Divide and conquer. Do things a piece at the time. Or the USA's deep South version to "never bite off more than you can chew" as a way to keep from choking.
Wise words I needed to hear about 5 months ago 🤣 I am enjoying the challenge and indeed I have biten off more than I can chew now I am deeply invested and determined to digest! 😁 Thanks Doc,

🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom