Help! My Access Database is too big (1 Viewer)

Laura1982

Local time
Today, 14:38
I have been developing an Access database for an assignment, and i just uploaded it and it was 6.8M.. I made a few changes such as added a security password and made the opening form look nicer by taking out all the scrolling bars and everything.

I just uploaded this newer version now and suddenly it has blown out to 20M. Any ideas as to why and how to fix it?

Thanks

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:38
You need to compact frequently when you are making design changes. Compacting removes all the old objects and used workspaces. Access cannot free this space or reuse it. Compacting is the only way to get rid of it.

iancampbellian

Registered User.
Local time
database size

ensure you don't have any bitmap icons of a large size. When embedded the size of the database will grown substantially.

as pat says you also need to compact. after 97 there is a setting to do so before the database closes.

GizmoT

Registered User.
Local time
On this same subject (sort of).

Is there a maximum size for a database? Or is there a limit beyond which you would not advise going.

My primary work application (data is held seperately and linked) is 306mb. Is this unusually large? Is it likely to run into problems? What are the main drawbacks from having a large database?

Fornatian

Dim Person
Local time
Although discussed on many posts, I will reiterate.

The maximum size for a db file is 1Gb (has this gone up to 2Gb for A2k?) A db file can have linked tables linked to other db files to create a file cosmetically greater than 1Gb to the user.
A 306Mb db is big but not huge.

We return to PC and network resources. A Spectrum 128k would not like your file. A NASA/military computer would eat it for breakfast. Depending on PC processor, network speed, other traffic and a whole host of other considerations can affect performance. Best advice - be vigilant and keep data backups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom