Help needed with Help! (1 Viewer)

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:49
It takes an age to load up help on my PC at work. It's most noticeable in Access, but still frustrating in other Office apps. Does anyone have any ideas?
I run Office 2000 on ME at home, and it's much quicker.

I'm running Office 2000 on Windows 2000 Pro. I've applied all the latest patches and updates to both Office and Windows. We have a very secure firewall and use Sophos antivirus, so a virus is unlikely.

robthedog

Registered User.
Local time
No you're not alone, I have the same problem using with win 2000 on my work laptop, sometimes I even get messages asking for the office cd and have to reboot before I can access help.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Still getting nowhere.

If I log on as an administrator, help loads fine, but if I log on as me, help can take ten minutes to appear, and the PC locks up in the meantime. The fact that it works fine in administrator mode suggests there's some kind of setting somewhere.

Any ideas??

a.sinatra

quik
Local time
Today, 05:49
When was the last time to computer was reformated?
Have you tried clearing your TEMP files?
Windows has an age it gets to before everything starts getting worse.
________
Oregon Medical Marijuana

Last edited:

WayneRyan

AWF VIP
Local time
Neil,

No, you're not alone in this. In Access 2000, they changed the mechanics
of help. There are different "Helps" available depending upon whether you're
designing forms, in reports, in VBA, etc.

All I know is that it is definitely way slower than Access 97.

Don't know how you could improve it's performance, other than typical
things like defrag your disk and re-install Office.

Wayne

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Thanks for the support. I'll have to get the network admins into action. Trouble is, they think they've done the job when then give you a vanilla install. They forget all about the Oracle Client, the mainframe terminal emulator, the BI/Query models, etc....

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Someone broke into the office over the weekend, cracked my password, and mended my help files. :confused:

Who knows, who cares?

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:49
neileg said:
Someone broke into the office over the weekend, cracked my password, and mended my help files. :confused:

Who knows, who cares?

But of course someone else will break into your office next week to set you back to normal.

My A2K Help file window, after the hard drive thrashes for 10 to 20 (or so) seconds, consistently flees to the upper left hand of the screen and curls into the fetal position. Sometimes, once I've maximized the window, the mousepointer becomes a a double-arrow and I can't select anything until I exit and then re-launch Access -- if that doesn't work, I log out or reboot or head into Control Panel and run an Office Repair, which inevitably prompts for a CD, which is always hiding under a magazine or book or stack of papers...

I've already gone through the seven stages of death and dying when it comes to the A2k Help file.

Regards,
Tim

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
My help problems apply to all my Office applications, not just Access. I can't run an Office repair, since mine is a network install, and I don't have access to the source files. If I call IT Support I usually end up with more problems than I started with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom