Help (1 Viewer)

sadbon

Local time
Yesterday, 19:26
Hi all

I'm a ms acsess beginner and i´m building a database. However i'm having some dificulties.
I´ve a table with the fields Supplier/Product/Ref/Function. The supplier is a list of values with 17 options and I would like to do, in a form, that by choosing the supplier, the other fields (Products/Ref/Function) would be automatically updated as combo boxes with filtered options (by supplier).

In another combo box, I want to open a sub form by choosing a specific option!

Can anybody help me in this two issues?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
Without knowing more it seems like you might want to read this link before you get too far along in the development process.

sadbon

Local time
Without knowing more it seems like you might want to read this link before you get too far along in the development process.

I've already read the text in the link. So, what can i do to accomplish my goals?

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yesterday, 21:26
The supplier is a list of values with 17 options and I would like to do, in a form, that by choosing the supplier, the other fields (Products/Ref/Function) would be automatically updated as combo boxes with filtered options (by supplier).

In another combo box, I want to open a sub form by choosing a specific option!
These are pretty basic user-concepts. I would suggest some reading material first, as explaining this stuff to a beginner (no offense here) usually takes about as long (if not longer) as it takes the novice to read up on DB production and then complete the work with the knowledge gained...

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Make sure you look into acViewNormal versus acViewPreview.

Also, on a much more important note, you've asked an extremely generalized question and provided zero examples that you've actually attempted anything. There was no, "I tried this, that, and the other thing and I got stuck at this point" or any proof at all that you've tried at all, besides a basic definition of what you want.

This is not a classroom. This is where you come when you're at your wit's end and can't figure out what's wrong after doing 90% of it yourself (correctly or otherwise). Here's how your question reads: "Hey, I have this idea, and I know it has something to do with databases, so let me describe it in the most basic terms and then have you write it for me. Can someone help?"

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're looking for homework-style help here, and that's not what is provided. You've provided nothing to show what you've done, you've provided nothing to show where you are stuck, and you're getting nothing in return until at least one of those conditions is met.

Maybe you think I'm just being an ass, but fish around (you seem to be good at that) and you'll see that I'm full of knowledge (and other things). However, blatant disregard for every rule of this board is a sure-fire way to make sure that the responses you get have nothing to do with your question.

Have a nice day! :)

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
You know you love it, Adam. ;)

And, I don't mind "scaring off" OPs like this. How about if you own a car repair shop and I come in and say, "Hey, I have this thing on my car that makes this noise. What is it?"

It's just as descriptive.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Yeah, but what I love more is the week-long "interview" trip I am going on today, paid for by a company that thinks I'm worth more than you. :p

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
And $100,000 later, they'll be looking for a replacement. :p

Good luck with that for real. I've been flown around for interviews as well and it's nerve-wracking to say the least. After you do it enough though, you can talk your way into first class tickets.

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
They put me in first-class the FIRST time. Does that show you my value or what!? :p

sadbon

Local time
First of all,i said that i´m an access begginer. I didn' said, but i'm portugueses and there isn't enough literature im my own language and that is a real and difficult obstacule. Any way i came in to this forum, made some digging and try to have a help from you. Didn´t realize that you genious, didn´t care about help the simpleminded beginners. I´m sorry to bother you. Thank you for not helping me!

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
I have no problem helping anyone. That's not the issue. The issue is that you provided no detail and showed no work on what you are trying to do.

It was, "I want this, I want that, and I want the other thing. How do I do it?" It wasn't, "I have this done and I think it's right, but I'm stuck getting this other thing to work. Where am I going wrong?"

Again, you've shown no work on your part (beyond an idea of what you want), and it certainly looks like you want someone to write it for you. If I'm reading it wrong, then my apologies. I don't think I am though. Instead of coming back with "here's my work so far", you came back with, "Well, I'm just a beginner and you suck for not doing my work for me."

Guess what? Everyone is a beginner at some point. Myself, Bob, Doc Man, Paul, Gizmo, and everyone else I'm forgetting all started somewhere. The difference is that we studied and practiced and failed and achieved and got it right and got it wrong and so on until we had a grasp of it.

You're trying to skip the basics and jump right in to the deep end, and that's a very easy way to drown. You need to do the equivalent of a "Hello World!" program before you can write a full-fledged solution.

sadbon

Local time
I have no problem helping anyone. That's not the issue. The issue is that you provided no detail and showed no work on what you are trying to do.

I´m just trying to improve an existing and working DB which has tables and forms for each suplier. Trying to have all the data in the same place!

It was, "I want this, I want that, and I want the other thing. How do I do it?" It wasn't, "I have this done and I think it's right, but I'm stuck getting this other thing to work. Where am I going wrong?"

About my intents, i´ve made some digging but the biggest problem is, i don't have good literature in my own language! Most of documents are made by and for american users. The English learning in Portugal is mostly about basic conversation. About acccess, i can only say that is not very usual.

Again, you've shown no work on your part (beyond an idea of what you want), and it certainly looks like you want someone to write it for you. If I'm reading it wrong, then my apologies. I don't think I am though. Instead of coming back with "here's my work so far", you came back with, "Well, I'm just a beginner and you suck for not doing my work for me."

I'm not trying to have the work made by someone else, i'm trying to learn. It´s a differente thing... I don´t have any consideration about you, as you seems to have about me or people like me!

Guess what? Everyone is a beginner at some point. Myself, Bob, Doc Man, Paul, Gizmo, and everyone else I'm forgetting all started somewhere. The difference is that we studied and practiced and failed and achieved and got it right and got it wrong and so on until we had a grasp of it.

It is a good way of living but is not full proof. Is Access or This Forum a spiritual travel that everyone have to do? Can´t the "novices" use the "masters" knowledgement without making the starting ritual? In that way, using an american example, everybody would still be flying in the Wrights flying machine because nobody could use others progresses.

You're trying to skip the basics and jump right in to the deep end, and that's a very easy way to drown. You need to do the equivalent of a "Hello World!" program before you can write a full-fledged solution.

I´m not trying to change the world and i thought that this was a "Hello World"
DB... sorry!

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Whew! English really is your second language! ;)

Seriously, post what you have already and then tell us specifically what you need done. Yes, you want the selection in one combobox to affect the available selections in other comboboxes (easy enough), but there's no detail. Do a compact/repair, zip it, and then post. Tell us where you're stuck, not your idea. Tell us what didn't work, not what you would like to work.

I speak Portuguese as well as you speak English, so there's a barrier there, but nothing that can't be worked through. Show your examples of what has and hasn't worked.

sadbon

Local time
Ok Moniker! i appreciate your help! Tomorrow i'll post my work.

Sorry about my english!

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
First of all,i said that i´m an access begginer. I didn' said, but i'm portugueses and there isn't enough literature im my own language and that is a real and difficult obstacule. Any way i came in to this forum, made some digging and try to have a help from you. Didn´t realize that you genious, didn´t care about help the simpleminded beginners. I´m sorry to bother you. Thank you for not helping me!
SadBon,

If I were you, I would take my response as a complement. My words basically told you that you could "kill two birds with one stone" (although I don't really like killing birds). :) :) :)

As for my intention here, I was really trying to get you to read all about this stuff, AND save a bunch of time too. Did you know that if you ask us about stuff you can learn initially, the learning process will take twice as long? If I were you, I would use both methods (us, and the good 'ol reading material). With the combination of those two, how could you go wrong!? :)

Good luck with everything...(hopefully you can get something done with Moniker. He knows a lot, but you gotta watch his slip-ups). :)

sadbon

Local time
I´ve decided to go as far as i can, however i´m stuck in a question: Is it possible to put two, or more, codes in the same event (e.g. after update)? In my form i would like to activate/give visibility to other boxes but the after update event is already in use. In attachment you may see sample of my DB.
Thanks

Attachments

• bz.zip
    79.8 KB · Views: 88

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom