Help?? (1 Viewer)

B1TZMAST3R

Local time
Yesterday, 21:36
How do I take the value of an unbound field in a form with =Left$([Mod1Ser],2)
as the control source and place it into a table?

Or...How do I link unbound Fields between my MainForm and SubForm?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

B1TZM@ST3R

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:36
You do not link unbound fields in a form/subform. Not sure what it is you want to do, but some details on what you are after will help someone here to help you.

Also, since you already have the left two charactors in the 'Mod1Ser' field you do not want to extract them and save them in another field as they are available to you whenever you need them....

Jack

B1TZMAST3R

Local time
Here is what I'm trying to do...

In my MainForm I have a SerialNumber field, which is where I'm parsing the first two characters.

My subform needs to contain the record that matches the SerialNumber prefix (the parsed data).

I'm setting this up so the subform will display the parts required to service equipment. The parts are determined by the serial number's prefix. I can have 100 customers with serial numbers that start with JX...and their subfoms will all pull from the same record.

I could manually enter the prefix in the table...Which would work fine. I'm just trying to automate the process so once the model and serial number info is entered in the customer (main)form the subform automatically fills in.

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
Hmmm. There are a couple of approaches and I think that I would have the prefix be a separate field in the table(s). If you do that then you do not have to parse or do anything else. The user can select the prefix from a combo box on the main form and they should be good to go.

I hope that I have correctly understood your question....

Jack

B1TZMAST3R

Local time
I appreciate the help!

I'm going that route...I was trying to make the process easier for the person who is entering the data, but two more keys won't kill anyone. Or maybe it was me trying to solve a complex problem to impress the Boss?

I'm going to make this field kick out an alert if the prefix doesn't get entered. A quick "help" search didn't show how to make that happen...so if you have any suggestions I'll take them.

I'm new to this if you couldn't tell:D

Thanks for your help!

B1TZM@ST3R
(Rob)

Jack Cowley

Registered User.
Local time
You want to add 'validation' code to the forms Before Update event to see if they left any required controls blank before saving the record. There is some sample code in help if you click the F1 key when the cursor is in the Before Update event of the form.

hth,
Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom