Hi and need some help (1 Viewer)

DanielleCO

Local time
Today, 12:36
Hello,
i have a form in which i've included a subform.
in the footer of my subform i have the total of the total price. this works.
now i also want the totals of my margin 1 calculations and my margin 2 calculations.
but when i make the same formula as for my total price than i get an error.
Chat gpt tells me i need to use vba but i can't make it work.
my fields in the header (margin 1 and margin 2) also need to be fields that can be different in each form.
for the moment, when i change them, they change in all my forms.
can someone please help me with this?
thanks!
D

1708259686124.png

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:36
easier if you can share a strip down version of your db to see what is going on.

DanielleCO

Local time
what do you need exactly so i can send you the right things. i'm new to access :)

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:36
your db, share it or a sample db.

DanielleCO

Local time
Here it is. i've build it to extend it aftewards

Attachments

• Database11.accdb
    4.3 MB · Views: 36

DanielleCO

Local time
i'm going crazy over this DB. so if you can help me, i would be very grateful!

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 06:36
my fields in the header (margin 1 and margin 2) also need to be fields that can be different in each form.
Currently you have margins specified for each sale, is this your intent that different sales have different margins?
If you want different views for potential margin than you cannot specify a specific margin in each record. If you need a view to show what the cost on a specific margin would be and then a way to record that margin then you could do that.
I do not really understand what you mean by different margins on different forms if you have specific margins for each record.
You need to describe this better.

DanielleCO

Local time
i'll prepare an excel to show you what i want
just a minute please

DanielleCO

Local time
I need 2 fields that are variable per order for the margin. and then the total per subform.

DanielleCO

Local time
indeed i need to be able to change the margin per order. so in one order it can be 1.7 and 1.2. in an other it can be 1.6 and 1.8 f.e.
my margin fields and calculations work but i can't get the sum for margin1 and margin 2. as you can see i have it for the total but i get errors when i add it for the margins.

MajP

Local time
If each item in the Order has the same margin then the Margin fields should be in the Order table and not the detail table. They would be in the detail table if each product in the order had a different margin.
If that is correct add those fields to the order table, remove from the details table and upload the new database. To make this more illustrative add several products to each order and several orders. It is hard to demonstrate a concept without any default data. Hard to show a sum works if only one record to sum.

DanielleCO

Local time
i understand. i'll have a look. i'm with my inlaws right now :) i'll try it in a bit. thanks so far for trying to help me out.

MajP

Local time
Before you run into a huge disaster get rid of all table lookups. You will irritate anyone in this forum who tries to give you help.

You will not be able to delete the margins out of the details table because you have a hidden relationship. In the relationship window select show all relationships. Get rid of that relationship.
I do not think you need the factor table unless you have set categories
Factor A 1.7 1.2
Factor B 1.9 1.3

In other words you can only choose specific combinations of margin1 and margin 2. If that is the case and you have to pick from this list then your order table will not have 2 margins but instead a foreign key "factorID_FK" which relates the order to a set of margins in the margins table.

If you simply need to pick a value then you keep the two margin fields in the order table and pull down values not a foreign key from a table of acceptable values.
My guess is the latter with some kind of check to validate that the margin 2 is valid based on margin 1.
My guess this is a set of cascading combo boxes where you pick a value for margin 1 and then the combo for margin 2 only shows acceptable margin two values

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:36
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

If you could also describe your business process, perhaps it would be easier for us to understand what it is you're trying to accomplish.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:36
i understand. i'll have a look. i'm with my inlaws right now :) i'll try it in a bit. thanks so far for trying to help me out.
Hi Danielle

Would you want to manually type in the values for Margins 1 and 2 ?

Or would you always have a table to store the various Margin Combinations?

If you are going to have a table then as MajP suggested you would need to use Cascading Combobox's.

DanielleCO

Local time
Before you run into a huge disaster get rid of all table lookups. You will irritate anyone in this forum who tries to give you help.

You will not be able to delete the margins out of the details table because you have a hidden relationship. In the relationship window select show all relationships. Get rid of that relationship.
I do not think you need the factor table unless you have set categories
Factor A 1.7 1.2
Factor B 1.9 1.3

In other words you can only choose specific combinations of margin1 and margin 2. If that is the case and you have to pick from this list then your order table will not have 2 margins but instead a foreign key "factorID_FK" which relates the order to a set of margins in the margins table.

If you simply need to pick a value then you keep the two margin fields in the order table and pull down values not a foreign key from a table of acceptable values.
My guess is the latter with some kind of check to validate that the margin 2 is valid based on margin 1.
My guess this is a set of cascading combo boxes where you pick a value for margin 1 and then the combo for margin 2 only shows acceptable margin two values

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom