Hide unused fields when using multiple columns (1 Viewer)

linskill

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:19
Hi Chaps, I am trying to condense a report by using multiple columns. The shrink option is not helpful when using multiple columns. Is there any other way of hiding unused fields?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 02:19
Maybe I do not understand the question because it seems so intuitive. If you are not using a column you do not include it in the report. You do not have to hide something if it is not there to start with. Is there something more to this question maybe?

linskill

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:19
Maybe I do not understand the question because it seems so intuitive. If you are not using a column you do not include it in the report. You do not have to hide something if it is not there to start with. Is there something more to this question maybe?
Sorry, probably did not make my question clear.
I am working on a printed report which consists of 8 sections each containing around 50 fields. My boss would like the all of the answered fields included, which if left as a single column will need more than one A4 page for each section. To keep it to one page per section I would like to use multiple columns but at the same time I do not want spaces left if the field is blank. I am pretty sure the shrink option will only work if there is nothing else on the same horizontal line. I was hoping there maybe another way around this?

SHANEMAC51

Local time
Today, 09:19
To keep it to one page per section I would like to use multiple columns but at the same time I do not want spaces left if the field is blank.
if you lay out an example of a table and a report, you will get a solution faster

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:19
When you are formatting a report section (from your description, probably a detail section), you can use an OnFormat event to take action to alter what you will show. However, Access will not allow you to narrow a field to zero width if there is anything in it. You are correct that CanShrink only applies to rows (detail records), not to columns.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:19
Sounds like a problem caused by an unnormalized schema. Perhaps we can help you to normalize it if you post the Relationship diagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom