Home Improvement.

Currently replacing flooring in family room/kitchen. Removing carpeting and replacing with painted floor. (I posted pics of same process done in my master bedroom in another post). Building new dining room table. Planning new speaker enclosures for an older vintage stereo system.

Actually, you can get it wet, does not seem to effect it UNLESS you soak it. If the water gets under/behind it, it does cause damage, but wood would swell and discolor also. We tiled the bathroom after a serious toilet leak wasted a 4 foot by 3 foot section (leaked from the wax ring UNDER the laminate). But the rest has been great. We have a pool and 2 big dogs that like to swim, so we do get it wet, does not seem to hurt it in any way. I am a fan of the look of wood, just not the maintenance that goes along with it. Since it is poly coated, it has a much softer coating that is prone to scratching (remember the two dogs) which we had not had a problem with at all with the laminate. Just worth a mention and at least researching it along with wood. It's cheaper also.

Friday said:
Building new dining room table. Planning new speaker enclosures for an older vintage stereo system.
We gotta have a pic of that. Don't knock older stereo by the way, it still sounds better than the crap kids listen to today :D

FoFa said:
Actually, you can get it wet, does not seem to effect it UNLESS you soak it. .
Do you guys not have laminates that can be used in "wet areas" yet?

Rich said:
We gotta have a pic of that. Don't knock older stereo by the way, it still sounds better than the crap kids listen to today :D

I just got the turntable on Saturday (old BSR model). Bought it off Ebay for 1 cent. Shipping was 12 bucks. I bought a HH Scott amp/receiver last month. Saturday night I was listening to Deep Purple - Made in Japan. It's amazing how much better the old LP's sound than the same music on CD...

The table is a nightmare. I have the trestle done, and am painting it right now, but the top is driving me nuts. It bowed slightly during the gluing process, so I have to get it straightened out before attaching the ends, then I can stain it (cherry) and put it on the trestle. I'm going to try angle iron screwed along the width at three locations, hoping that will pull it flat. We'll see.

Rich said:
Do you guys not have laminates that can be used in "wet areas" yet?

Yes, it's called vinyl... :D

FoFa said:
We tiled the bathroom after a serious toilet leak wasted a 4 foot by 3 foot section (leaked from the wax ring UNDER the laminate).

What was the material you had to replace?

Friday said:
Planning new speaker enclosures for an older vintage stereo system.
Hey, I have had to replace the "foam rot" on my vintage stereo, and just got the cassette deck and receiver back from someone who fixes vintage stereo equipment. Also just replaced the cartridge in the turntable. Just wish I had not been the one to buy it new :p

FoFa said:
Hey, I have had to replace the "foam rot" on my vintage stereo, and just got the cassette deck and receiver back from someone who fixes vintage stereo equipment. Also just replaced the cartridge in the turntable. Just wish I had not been the one to buy it new :p

Where was the foam? Speaker enclosures?

Foam surrounding the woofers (BASS) speakers.

Last edited:
FoFa said:
Foam surrounding the woofers (BASS) speakers.

Aha! Now I understand...What did you use for replacement material?

I ordered foam surround replacements off the 'net. Came with a tape on how to do it and everything. Since my woofers are 15 inches, it was pretty simple. Way more simple that I thought initially. Was about $15.00 + $4.00 shipping for two surrounds and dust caps and glue. Took me about 30-40 mins to do both speakers.

FoFa said:
Which turntable, which cartridge and whose speakers?

FoFa said:
I ordered foam surround replacements off the 'net. Came with a tape on how to do it and everything. Since my woofers are 15 inches, it was pretty simple. Way more simple that I thought initially. Was about $15.00 + $4.00 shipping for two surrounds and dust caps and glue. Took me about 30-40 mins to do both speakers.

I'm getting ready to build enclosures for 12" woofers. Do you have the net address of this place?

Friday said:
I'm getting ready to build enclosures for 12" woofers. Do you have the net address of this place?
I might have it at home, I'll check tonight and post it if I can find it.

Rich said:

Here is a pic of the top and a pic of the base. I have them together now, but no pics yet...

Attachments

• base.JPG
    base.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 184
  • top1.JPG
    top1.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 181
What a nifty thread. This summer, while I was pregnant, we decided to fix up the house a bit in anticipation of the baby, so the house would be warm and cozy for her. The roof had been leaking, so we had to get that replaced, and was the catalyst behind the extravagant sum of money we had to borrow. While I was at it, though, I got enough money to do some other improvements. So here's what we have done so far and what is yet to do:

Replaced the roof
Had a new furnace installed
Bought a new snowblower in anticipation of the fabulous winter we will have
Was going to replace a few windows, but our window guy hurt his hand, so we are waiting til the spring.
Looking into getting wall-to-wall carpeting - I HATE hard wood floors.
Would like to get new living room furniture, but will probably run out of money
Plan to get a new storm door for the front door - one of the glass panes broke, so we have the screen in it still.

Damn - there is much much more I would love to do with this house, but when the money is gone, that's it for now.

Lisa

lmnop7854 said:
Plan to get a new storm door for the front door - one of the glass panes broke, so we have the screen in it still.

Lisa
Can't you just get a new pane of glass?:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom