How to disable Action Query popup messages (1 Viewer)

lana_faith

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:47
I'm told (via the non-helpful help system packaged with MsAccess) that the way to 'turn off' the helpful confirmation message related to an action query is under tools>Options>Edit/Find tab, and then uncheck the appropriate boxes.

I've done this. In fact, right now I have all three boxes unchecked which relate to confirmation messages (record changes, document changes, and action queries) - and I'm still having that same popup message every time I run the query, or have a report pull the query for me.

this wouldn't be more than just a hassle, except that one of the end users for this system isn't the most computer-savvy person in the whole world. In fact, I desperately need to "steve-proof" this system! I have this nightmare of being woken up at midnight because of this little glitch. any ideas how to disable that popup confirmation message for good??

RV

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:47
You'll have to turn off the messages on each and every PC, as they are local Access settings.

I'd suggest to use SetWarnings in VBA.
Run a search on the forum if you need more help, topic has been raised before 'bout a zillion times.

RV

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:47
If you use CurrentDB.Execute "YourActionSQL", dbFailOnError then *no* warning message are generated.

lana_faith

Registered User.
Local time
thank you so much for replying... and you'll have to forgive my ignorance, but I don't want to do this wrong. I know just a wee tad of VBA and even less of SQL. Where do I code this sexactly, and how? Your help is IMMENSELY appreciated. :)

RV

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:47
I'm told (via the non-helpful help system packaged with MsAccess) that the way to 'turn off' the helpful confirmation message related to an action query is under tools>Options>Edit/Find tab, and then uncheck the appropriate boxes.

Lana,

if you knowledge on VBA / SQL is very limited, I'd do what you did in the first place.
As I stated before, you need to do this on each on every PC, as in, manually.

RV

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Somewhere I believe you are executing your action query with DoCmd.RunSQL "SQLStatement"
Just replace it with:
CurrentDB.Execute "SQLStatement", dbFailOnError

Adeptus

What's this button do?
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:17
I would have thought she'd be doing it with DoCmd.OpenQuery, or in a Macro.
There is a VBA command to turn off warnings... can't remember exactly what it is...

I have seen it used like:
Turn off warnings
Run query
Turn on warnings

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
The problem with turning off the warnings is you turn off the error reporting as well therefore it is not recommended.

Alvis

Learning is fun !
Local time
If we decide that the user should not see this message we can set the options to turn it off when we run the command. This will usually be actioned from a command button somewhere within the user interface of the application.
The following example shows how to turn off the warning messages:
Private Sub cmdRunMakeTable_Click() DoCmd.Hourglass True 'Turns off the Access warning messages DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.OpenQuery "mktqry_MakeNewTable" DoCmd.Hourglass False 'Turns the Access warning messages back on DoCmd.SetWarnings TrueEnd SubYou should only consider setting these options once you are fully sure that the actions are going to perform without any problems. Unless you're confident of the outcome of all actions, you should avoid using this action.
To turn off errors, you can set warnings to false prior to running a query and then set warnings to true immediately after running the query. It is imperative that you remember to turn the warnings back on. Leaving warnings off will prevent Access from warning you that there are unsaved changes should you modify something and forget to save it. With warnings on, Access will ask you if you want to save. With warnings off, Access will simply discard the changes without asking.
I strongly suggest setting the hourglass on whenever you turn warnings off. Should you sometime forget to turn warnings back on, the hourglass is a visual reminder that they are off.

Thanks
Alvis L

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom