How to display MEMO text in reports.. (1 Viewer)

vsap

vsap
Local time
Today, 06:12
Hello Guys,
I am new to Access 2000 and issue is ,I have a field name product_name with datatype MEMO,when I chek my report at the place of product_name instead of the name of product it shows a squared symbol ,i dont understand how I can see the values of product_name.

SO anyone can help me out ,bcos of this I m stuck into my project.

Hope to get answer asap...

Thanks!
Vsap

KenHigg

Local time
To start with, it's seems odd that you've place 'product' name in a memo field. Could you elaborate on why?

vsap

vsap
Local time
Let me ellaborate,I have table in sql which has field ,product_name varchar2(400) ,so in access 2000 datatype is MEMO ,now when I run the report,it displays all the field with records but at product_name column it shows square symbol,it doesnt show the records,so now ,how I should display the values for product_name in the report.
Hope u got it now..

Thanks,
vsap

KenHigg

Local time
Hum... You got me stumped on this one. Is there any way to change the sql fld to 250 chars so that it comes over as a char fld instead of a memo? I suspect this will cause problems in the future as sorting, filtering, etc will be a problem in memo flds and product name seems kind of important...

vsap

vsap
Local time
Thanks! No I cant change the field to 250 as there are some records it has name more than 250 characters and its already in production.
Is any other way ? Please let me know..

KenHigg

Local time
This may be varchar2 / Access 2000 issue. Isn't varchar2 a unicode deal?

Edit: You may want to post this in an Oracle forum...

Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
Is this a snapshot type deal where you just need to run a report?

vsap

vsap
Local time
Its regular report,where user can check the report when he hits the button,so its access 2000 issue,I just want to know how I can display MEMO field,it should be not big deal.Hope to get the answer .

Thanks!
vsap

KenHigg

Local time
As a temp fix you may be able to do a staging table and append the data over to it at report run time and do the report based on the stage table and then after the report is printed and closed, you could delete all the rows...

vsap

vsap
Local time
KenHigg said:
As a temp fix you may be able to do a staging table and append the data over to it at report run time and do the report based on the stage table and then after the report is printed and closed, you could delete all the rows...

Sorry! I am new to Access 2000 and can u ellaborate me how can I accomplish this temp fix.

thanks
vsap

KenHigg

Local time
Nothing fancy. Just do a new table based on the table you are now using. When the user runs the report, the rows in the existing table are appended to the new table. Hopefully at this point, you have successfully appended the varchar2 fld into a memo fld in the new table.

Then run the report which is based on the new table. After the report is run / printed, you run a second query that deletes all the data from the new table so that you'll be back at square one....

???

gizzu

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:12
You could try to base the report on a query instead of the table. You could then base the query on the table, like this:

SELECT '' & product_name, * from thetable

not that there is not a double-quote, but two single-quotes.

I've no idea if this will work, just a suggestion you might try, since you don't seem to have very many options to try.

vsap

vsap
Local time
I am grouping the memo datatype field (product_name),if I dont group I can c the value,so now issue is how i can group this field.
Hope to get answer..

KenHigg

Local time
The answer is that you simply can not group on a memo field. And it really don't make much sense... A memo field is supposed to be used for random text - like the words here in my post. How are you supposed to group this type data?

vsap

vsap
Local time
Thanks for ur reply,but my issue is that this product name are drugs name used by pharmaceutical group so I have to group it other wise it dont give the result what user wants...

KenHigg

Local time
You don't have any other fld that identifies the product? Say A code? Here's what I would do: Grab the first 250 chars and put it in a text fld. Examine the flds to see if this creates a unique identifier for each product name. You would think surely it would. Then use this as the unique fld to group on.

Would this work?

gizzu

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:12
You maybe can't group on a memo field, and it's logical that it cannot be done. Suppose you spell the name wrong in one record, then you'll suddenly have one more product without wanting it. Why do you want to group by product_name? What exactly does the table include? orders? stock? medical information? If there is some kind of information that contains more than one record per product, and you want to group by product, then you should not, according to database normalisation standards, have the product name in that table! Instead have a number, a product number and group by that field. Then, if you want to display the product name, have another table with one record per product containing the product name and number. Then have a query joining these tables on the product number and grouping per product number. Of, you could perhaps use the DLookUp() function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom