How to get a taste of Sharepoint Server on windows on-premise? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 14:32
It's my long time desire to explore the Sharepoint Server On-Premise edition. What are the steps to install and use it on my machine?

P.S.:
Finding it very difficult. Elaborate answers are always welcome. Thanks.

With Hope,
Prabhakaran

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 02:02
Your company must have it installed and you must have a logon ID
I think it's possible for an individual to purchase a license and install SharePoint, but that is a monster task, is it not?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:02
I think it's possible for an individual to purchase a license and install SharePoint, but that is a monster task, is it not?
You got me there. Seems like you would need an actual home network with one PC acting as a server. SP might even need a server OS rather than just Windows also. It's not like SQL Server where a single PC installation makes sense.

Also, unless there is a free version, the price is probably too high for someone to just buy it to try it.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:02
SP might even need a server OS rather than just Windows also. [...]

Also, unless there is a free version, the price is probably too high for someone to just buy it to try it.
At least on paper (official system requirements) Sharepoint indeed needs a Windows Server operating system.

You can download Sharepoint Server from Microsoft. The installation instructions on the linked page contain a 180 day trial license key.

AFAIK there is no free Developer Edition of Sharepoint. If you need a long-term development environment, the only option I know of is through a Visual Studio Enterprise Subscription (>>1K USD per year), which includes license keys to install the Standard and Enterprise Edition of Sharepoint Server for development purposes.

Josef P.

Local time
Today, 11:02
The Microsoft Action Pack also includes SharePoint Server 2019 Enterprise (incl. 10 CALs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom