How to limit the # of records in a from (1 Viewer)

emsadoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:25
I want to limit the # of records being entered in a form according to a limit value which has to come from a query. I greatly appreciate it if you help me how to code this.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 21:25
A lot would depend on what view of the form you are using. Is it a Form/SubForm arrangement?

emsadoon

Registered User.
Local time
Well. I have an order form(grandparent) that has a subform called "packing slip"(parent). Once I double click on a row of the packing slip subform, a seperate form called product form(child) will pop up. So, order has multiple packing slips, and packig slip has multiple products. I want to limit the total number of products (childeren) being added to be less than or equal to the number of product requested that is defined in a field in order form (grandparent). I know it sounds crazy!!!!!! My thought on that so far is to create a query that counts all the products in the entire packing slips related to an order, and somehow define a code that limits the product allocation to be less than or equal to the the number of product requested in the order form.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Does MainForm (grandparent) have multiple products on it?

emsadoon

Registered User.
Local time
No, The main form has multiple packing slips ID on it. Products has their own form.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
So where in your system does it know how many of each product was ordered?

emsadoon

Registered User.
Local time
There is a field on my Order form that has the # of product requested.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
I think I'm getting a little lost here. Your GrandParent Form *is* the OrderForm, right? This form displays on a SubForm the Packing slips where this product has been shipped to this Customer, right?

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 05:25
... My thought on that so far is to create a query that counts all the products in the entire packing slips related to an order, and somehow define a code that limits the product allocation to be less than or equal to the the number of product requested in the order form.
Once you've got the query to run, you can set the form's property "Allow Addition" to "False" from code, for limitation.

emsadoon

Registered User.
Local time
I found the following code from one of the replies in this website. I just want the "RecordCount" to be dynamically changed according to my query value. Please let me know if this is possible.

Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.NewRecord = True And Me.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = 5 Then
MsgBox "You have reached 5 records", vbCritical, "Limit Reached"
Me.Form.AllowAdditions = False
Else
Me.Form.AllowAdditions = True
End If
End Sub

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Limiting the records is pretty simple. Determining what number to which to limit it to is the question.

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Today, 05:25
I found the following code from one of the replies in this website. I just want the "RecordCount" to be dynamically changed according to my query value. Please let me know if this is possible.

Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.NewRecord = True And Me.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = 5 Then
MsgBox "You have reached 5 records", vbCritical, "Limit Reached"
Me.Form.AllowAdditions = False
Else
Me.Form.AllowAdditions = True
End If
End Sub
I would not use RecordsetClone, because you can't trust it, I would use Me.Recordset.RecordCount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom