How to Trust a home network (1 Viewer)

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Yesterday, 20:52
I have three desktops sharing a network at home. An XP with O2002; a Win7 with O2002; and a Win7 with O2010. I access Access from all three PCs usually without a problem, but my XP recently decided that it will not open my most recent undertaking...even though it was created on the XP and placed on the Shared Files directory. I can open the mdb from the other two PCs and work on the creation without a problem.
Is there any solution (other than copying the file to the desktop of the XP to work on it, then copying it back to the Shared Files afterward)?

AlexHedley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:52
What error are you getting?

Is the Shared Files Folder a Trusted Location, if this is a safe option for you to do?

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Selecting the mdb file from "My Network Places\SharedDocs on PC2" the dialog says
"Microsoft Access cannot open this file.
This file is located outside your intranet or on an untrusted site. Microsoft Access will not open the file due to potential security problems. To open the file, copy it to your machine or an accessible network location."
As I said, the Win7 PCs can both open it. It appears to be an XP problem.

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
With all due respect, Mihail, I think that would be fraught with problems: Office 2002 is now eleven years old and would have dozens of updates to download, on top of which XP is close to being abandoned by Microsoft. By what rationale did you reach this recommendation?

AlexHedley

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:52
Are you having any issues with other files stored in that shared location on the machine?

Could it be the mapping, might it be worth remapping the folder?

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Can you tell me how to do that please.
The current location of the file is \\K-hp\shareddocs
K-hp is the computer name from which the network was set up.
Thanks.
Yes, I cannot open any Access files located in the 'shareddocs' folder = all receive the same denial. However, I can open XL, tax files, pics, & Word files without hesitation.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I have had tons of problems getting networking between my XP and Win7 boxes because XP wants workgroup-style network but Win7 does not. The articles I have read on the subject seem to indicate that you need to keep the clocks tightly synchronized, among other things. When you say that Access won't open the file in question, my first question in reply is whether WinExplorer will open non-Access files in the same folder (assuming you have some.) That would help you troubleshoot whether this is Access screwing with you or WINDOWS deciding to be a pain in the patootie.

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Agreed. I checked and have no problem opening other program files. The reason I had to set up the network from the XP computer, was that the Win7 computer would only 'find' the other Win7 computer on my network. Thus, I had to set up three networks "Self - an XP" with "Basement - another XP"; "Self " with "Bedroom - a Win7 64bit" and with "K-hp - the Win7 32bit". Only Access files are a problem it seems, partly perhaps because I'm retaining the files in *.mdb format but reading them in both Access 2003 and Access 2010.

Did it again! The third network was "Bedroom Win7" with "K-hp" both work to share Access files successfully, even though one has Access 2003 and the other has Access 2010.

Last edited:

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Unfortunately, the website to which you directed me is for Office 2007 customers. Office 2002 isn't as trustworthy.
The Mapping a Drive allowed me in the XP to map to Drive N:
However, even through Drive N: Access denies me access to the .mdb
It does seem to be eluding me. I could still copy the file to my desktop and copy it back afterward, but I hate to give it the satisfaction!! Appreciate your suggestions though.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:52
With all due respect, Mihail, I think that would be fraught with problems: Office 2002 is now eleven years old and would have dozens of updates to download, on top of which XP is close to being abandoned by Microsoft. By what rationale did you reach this recommendation?

This was an idea, not a solution. I said "try".

But now I have a question: Why to install 2002 ?
I use 2007 on XP.
I don't tried a newer version but I think that XP will accept this.

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Hello again, Mihail. As you might already guess, I have used Office 2002 since it was new and have already (in another computer) Office 2010. (Office 2007 wasn't popular with the customers I dealt with, so I have never had to try it.) Until today, I have always been pleased with Office 2002 since I can send many people files in 2002 that can be opened within computers that have Office 2007, 2010, and 2013 even.
I was pointing out to you that to 'try' your suggestion would mean uninstalling Office 2002 for the several thousand files I have saved, then reinstalling it and downloading the updates, without any reason to expect that it would solve the problem. But thank you for the idea.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Note please that here is / should be a brain storming meeting.
Every idea can fired a "click" in your mind.
So, one more:
Open that DB in 2013
Save As 2002 (using other name, of course). in the same directory.
Are you able, now, to open this file with 2002 ?

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
No, but I understand your logic, Mihail.
The file was created in Access 2003 and saved as an mdb file. It can be opened in one Win 7 computer that has Office 2010. On my network, it can also be opened by my other Win 7 computer that has Office 2002. However, on the third PC, the one with XP and Office 2002, it cannot because of the Trust issue. Only the XP operating system has this Trust problem. It isn't an Access issue.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Your first post:
I access Access from all three PCs usually without a problem, but my XP recently decided that...
The TheDocMan's question (#8)
my first question in reply is whether WinExplorer will open non-Access files in the same folder
And your answer:
I checked and have no problem opening other program files.

It is why I suspected that the problem come from Access, not from XP.
On the other hand, I founded here that someone have had a similar problem in almost the same configuration (XP + Office 2003) and conditions (the problem start suddenly with no apparent reasons) as yours.

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Re: Looking like an answer..

I appreciate your taking the time, Mihail, to explain how I misled you with my comment 'recently decided'. What I should have said was that 'now that I share files that are being opened in Access 2010' my XP decided it cannot open them. I read your linked thread, but don't think I use any of the programs that contributed to my problem: Outlook, Symantic Endpoint, etc. Thank you though.
John.Woody - that definitely looks and feels like a solution (especially since it has the exact error message). I hope to print it off and work through it this week. I'll post when I either solve it or stumble over the directions. My initial concern is that I don't usually use IE browser, in favour of using Google Chrome, whose menus might be different...we'll see. Thanks.

wilpeter

Canadian enthusiast
Local time
Re: Solved!

Thanks John.Woody!
That was the solution. Now that directory is a trusted site.
Cheers, and Merry Xmas to all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom