HTML Version of MS Access Not-In-List Event (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:06
An MS Access feature that I have missed, is the Not-In-List event. Developing a Linux compatible version became one of those personal challenges. I'm currently using Linux (Mint) as the operating system. Using MariaDB as the database. Accessing the database through Firefox, using the HTML/PHP/JavaScript. I finally got around to developing an equivalent to MS Access's not-in-list event. This is a proof-in-concept version. There are probably gobs of other web-based versions of what I have done, but was not able to locate any of them. So I couldn't plagiarize them. Attached are all the relevant files plus the underlying table (which needs to be imported into an SQL database). As this is a proof-in-concept version, it would have to be adapted to work with a "production" application. Any thoughts would be welcome.

• Screenshot01 is the opening screen.
  • Screenshot02 displays what happens when you make an entry that is not in the list.
  • Sceenshot03 displays the form for entering the missing information.
  • Screenshot04 displays the completed form waiting for the submit button to be pressed.
  • Screen05 displays the successful entry of the "new" author. There is a quirk, in that the name of the "author" while it is displayed and has been incorporated into the table still requires a key press to "activate" it. If you press the submit button without doing that the authorID is not directly carried carried forward even though that value (authorID) is available. Since that value is available as a variable, a workaround can be incorporated into the final product. This quirk, in part, is related to how Firefox treats the values in the datalist tag. W3 Schools datalist tag. The option value (authorID) is not directly available. A solution to this was supplied in the StackOverflow question "Show datalist labels but submit the actual value". The actual value being the authorID.

• The file tblAuthorListX.sql.zip is the sample table. Moreover, this file after it is unzipped needs to be imported into an SQL database, such as MariaDB or MySQL for all this stuff to work.
  • The compressed zip file Not_In_List_Current.zip contains the HTML/PHP/JavaScript text files. You will need to chnage the username and password in the file "login_data.php" to match those used in your database.

Attachments

• Screenshot01.png
    Screenshot01.png
    317.1 KB · Views: 579
  • Screenshot02.png
    Screenshot02.png
    354.1 KB · Views: 557
  • Screenshot03.png
    Screenshot03.png
    429.6 KB · Views: 490
  • Screenshot04.png
    Screenshot04.png