I got a website! (1 Viewer)

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:11
I finally did it. I think I've owned the url for over a year now, but I didn't really know what I wanted it to look like. I've also got my Access addins posted there. Since they are executable, the mods don't want them here.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:11
Would that be as in "the devhl made me do it"?;)

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
You can interpret my name however you want! There is a bit of meaning to it, but that isn't it.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:11
If you want to build a chrome or FF extension that will destroy the annoying google doodle forever, I am all ears. :cool:

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
dan-cat, give me a bit more detail. You mean the pictures that are sometimes at google.com?

Vassago, dev is for developer of course. hl is short for hardliner, which was my nickname back in college. I happen to be atheist, so I think it is funny that it sounds like devil.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I thought it sounded like an abbreviation for Development hell, so that works too! :D

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Congratulations.
I have a home LAN based website to access a MySQL database. Eventually, I may migrate it to the real internet.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
It's a hobby. The database was originally developed in MS Access to store Science Fiction magazine stories. (see the screen-shots) I switched from MS Windows to Linux (Ubuntu). The Linux sort-of equivalent to MS Access is Base. It is even harder to implement than MS Access, so I migrated it to MySQL and connect to the database through the (Firefox) browser.

Current set of screen-shots available here. Surprisingly, this browser based approach is faster than using MS Access and it is much more colourful. However, I still have to add some MS Access functionalities to the code. One thing that I have yet to learn is how to do a drop-down combo-box MS Access equivalent.

If you have any further questions, I will be pleased to make an attempt to answer. I am still learning. I will be more or less out of touch for the next two weeks so I may not be able to respond in the near future.

Last edited:

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
What is the front end interface? If it's PHP, then you simply loop over the recordset and write the HTML combo box for each record...kinda like we might do in VBA. That's what I love about this, the concepts are all the same, just the syntax changes.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
The front end interface is PHP/HTML. I'm using CSS for the styling.

A problem that I am having with PHP is that it is similar to an old style batch process. You enter the data then press enter to interact with the server. You can't (to my knowledge) enter one character at a time with PHP and have it interact with the server.

The MS Access combo box allows you to enter one character at a time and displays all matches as you type. I have not yet figured out how that is done in PHP, assuming it can be done. Obviously it can be done in some manner (JavaScript?) as I see suggested search terms that match what I type in the bowser search box. I have not yet learned JavaScript. Always one more programming language to learn. :)

Congratulations on your website!!!

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:11
dan-cat, give me a bit more detail. You mean the pictures that are sometimes at google.com?

Yes, especially the animated google doodles built in HTML5 that occasionally, without warning, replace the static logo. They just rub me up the wrong way.

First I switched to the Firefox home page but they've started to fill that with junk too. I've now built my own custom home page just with a google submit form but of course it doesn't have the auto-fill abilities.

I'm not sure how google would feel building an extension for their browser to dismantle their home page though :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom