I need some help that only a Brit can offer (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 21:48
What is the traditional way to eat Kippers?

As a huge fan of Red Dwarf, I referenced the series to a co-worker who really enjoyed the series.
There was a character Ace Rimmer who was quoted "Smoke me a kipper, I will be back for breakfast". He would do this as a pilot as he flew off for some heroic mission.

We had no idea whatsoever what a kipper was. Evidently they are not commonly found in Colorado, at an altitude of a mile high.

The co-worker was at the local grocery store and sure enough, there was a special "Kippers". So, he bought me a can (tin) in appreciation of the reference.

In about a month, I am taking a trip to the wilderness Pawnee National Grasslands (a vast grassland) as the lead for a youth rocket launch. J class rockets, up to 15,000 Above Sea Level. We will eat with the youth, then we officers will have a special officer's break (somewhat like a tea). Most the officers are or were military pilots or related.

It was my plan to take the kippers to share a tradition.

But, I don't know the tradition. Are kippers eaten with crackers? With Rye bread? Are they eaten with coffee/tea? Cheese?

Traditions are important. Rather than look this up on Google, I would appreciate some actual advice from real experts.

- interesting, kipper was never used in a Tag before this

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:48
It's a smoked herring traditionally eaten for breakfast.

What you probably won't find on Wiki is that they "Repeat" on you. Sort of like a cross between a burp and heart burn.

I would have thought you must have smoked fish, I would think there would be something similar in your area.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:48
@Rx

You may be part of a new trend/the revival. kipper sales etc

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 21:48
The company "forbids" the kipper sales etc, whill check that out at home.
Smoked trout, yep. It is usually a foot long, served for a meal. Doesn't cause burps.
Thanks

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Smoked Kippers are a Breakfast dish in the UK, although it is not very popular, and I have never heard it as a tradition for Pilots...

I do remember Red Dwarf, brilliantly funny show, and remember the quote, but I do not think it was based on any fact.

tehNellie

Registered User.
Local time
Spotted some kippers in one of the markets today and thought of this posts but didn't have the phone to hand to take a photo.

Never heard of canned Kippers, but who knows they might be ok :)

To add the general gist that's been posted so far...

Very much a Breakfast dish and these days perhaps seen as being a little "posh".

To serve them, fresh at least (or as fresh as something that's smoked can be), they're generally grilled to heat them through rather than cook them. On their own they tend to come with a splurge of butter to melt on with a side of toast and perhaps some scrambled egg. Or they can form part of a "full english" breakfast so break out the back bacon, sausage, fried egg, beans and, if you're feeling really up for it, some black pudding.

These days I'd suggest that kippers as a matter of course tends to be far more common in Scotland, at least in Hotels that I've been in recently though they are making a bit of comeback in the fishmongers.

While I love the taste, I find them very boney.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Reminds me of Stan Collymore in the 1996? FA Cup final. The Liverpool team wore the infamous cream Armani suits and Stan was asked if he wanted a kipper tie.

He replied - milk and two sugars please.

How much of that translates across the atlantic I am not sure.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:48
Here are some serving suggestions --enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom