Ideas Needed (1 Viewer)

godofsix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:05
Hi,
Am try to create a database for a thrift society (monthly contributions). its so complex that am confused and have started over like six times coz each time i discover errors in my planning.
I have created four tables
1. Members - which holds data of all the members of the thrift society
2. Loans - this holds the various loan types and the deduction basis (loan are classed base on the repayment months;4,12 and 18 months) the loan collect will be divided by the months and deducted for that period
3. Savings - This holds database of the monthly contribute from January to December and also give a total
4.Item - The society sells items so that members can pay in installments, Household item are paid over 10 months and Commodities over 3 months.

I created a relationship using reg no. but the data in the members table i cannot automatically bring into other table. I also have problems of bringing forward the annual total savings.

Please i need your help on how best i can go about it.

Thanks

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:05
Write a small paragraph about your intended database. Start with a description of the processes involved in the business. See this link for a procedure to help you take the basic facts and derive the necessary tables; normalize the tables and create the relationships.
This will lead you to a data base structure that supports your "business".
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/Tutorials/Entity_Relationship.zip

Good luck.

godofsix

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks so much guys.
Jdraw; The database is meant to keep records of member's monthly savings and also the loans and purchase. The loan is of 3 types (3 months, 12, months and 18 months) and the amount collected for loan is divided by the loan type and spread over the months, the purchase is also of 2 types (item and commodity). Item is deducted for 10 months and the commodity for 3 months and spread just like the loan. The monthly deduction from his main salary every month will be "the monthly savings+loan deduction(if any)+purchase.
I want to build a database that will hold member's records and also that of their loans and purchase and a monthly deduction evry month. I also want the total savings to be brought forward at the end of a year.

godofsix

Registered User.
Local time
Now that you have a descriptive text of your needs, go to the link I gave and use the processes there to help with building your database, tables etc.

Good luck.

I quite understand the relation but the logic is what i have problem with. Attached is a sample table for the database you can help me look at it and make contributions, I have give a description of each field to help you understand where and going and coming from. Kindly, send back to me after your corrections. The report is expected to be for members, deductions and savings but the most important is the deduction which will be forwarded to the account department every month.
Thanks

Attachments

• thrift.zip
    51.9 KB · Views: 88

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:05
I'm not sure I fully understand your post.
The link I gave, twice now, shows you how to take your descriptive text, find the nouns etc leading to tables and attributes. If you follow the example, you will see the level of detail involved and the approach to take. Identifying subjects and attributes - but I don't see that you have done any of that.

There are other examples on this page
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/topic238.html

Perhaps one of the other examples is easier for you to follow. I would think that the
High School Fund Raising might be more relevant, especially the ScripProcess.doc and ScripSolution.doc which are included in the zip file.

I'm not sure what you are expecting. There is no single button to push to generate a database. What I have recommended is a process that will get you from facts to tables and relationships.

Now it is very likely you do not have all the facts. Any such questions specific to the business should be taken to the team/group/person who identified the need for a database.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom