Importing Data into Linked Tables? (1 Viewer)

sara82

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:27
I'm trying to perform a massive data dump. I have about 1,000 records that need to be added into my database. This is coming off an Excel spreadsheet.

I don't know if this is possible:
I have a table, tblTorders, which is linked to the table, tblItems.
When I open the tblTorders, I can click on the plus sign to expand and see the related data in tblItems.

How can I import data to populate the fields in both of these tables? I can't use the import function because you can only select to import it into one table.

Do I do it through a query.... I'm not sure where to go on this one.

Thanks so much

ScottGem

Registered User.
Local time
You need to let us know more about the spreadsheet and how the data relates to your tables. But if the item # is in the record, you should be able to do it.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
When the data in the spreadsheet represents a flattened 1-many relationship, you need to run multiple append queries. One for each table. Be sure to use the distinct key word when selecting the data to append to the 1-side table to prevent duplicates. To get the autonumber value for the foreign key, you'll need to join the 1-side table to the spreadsheet table on ALL the fields in the 1-side record except the autonumber.

sara82

Registered User.
Local time
PatHartman:

How about I create multiple append queries to obtain the results that I need?

The relationship between tblTorders and tblItems is as follows:

From tblTorders the primary key is TONumber so there is a one to many relationship from tblTorders and tblItems with TONumber as the primary key in tblTorders.

I have about 14 fields in tblTorders and about 10 fields in tblItems.

My excel spreadsheet has 4 fields from the tblTorders and 3 fields from the tblItems.

I don't know how to use append queries.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sara82

Registered User.
Local time
Ok I now have the results that I need. I created 2 temporary tables which I imported my spreadsheet data into. I created 2 append queries. From my temp tables I appended to the my "real" tables and I now have all the info that I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom