Insert does not work in VBA and SQL (1 Viewer)

DemonDNF

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:00
This is from a SAVE RECORD button:
Code:
Private Sub cmdSaveNewValue_Click()
10  Dim db As Database
20  Dim strSql As String

'       Add new tblValues entry for New Value textbox.
30  Set db = CurrentDb

40  strSql = "INSERT INTO tblValues (SpecID, Value) VALUES (" & _
             txtKey & ", '" & txtNewValue & "');"

50  db.Execute (strSql), dbFailOnError
60  db.Close
70  Me.Requery
80  cmdCancelNewValue_Click
End Sub

I printed strSql using debug.print:
Code:
INSERT INTO tblValues (SpecID, Value) VALUES (31, 'b');

It does not work in VBA, it does not work in SQL in a query design view; INSERT SYNTAX ERROR.

But I can insert 31 and b manually in the database and I can insert 31 and b using a continuous form.

SpecID is long (links to autonumber in another table), Value is text.

I'm stumped. I copied that insert statement from another routine that works without problems.

Robert

DemonDNF

Registered User.
Local time
Here is the manual insert:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 19:00
Before someone does you a great disservice by providing the solution: Use the query-builder to the full - this is the built-in free syntax checker.

The start of any query is SELECT. Make a select query to get the fields in question. Once that works, click on one of the buttons and thereby convert it to insert/append or whatever query. Then look at the SQLview and there you have it. Also, look at the list of proscribed names: http://allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 12:00
I'm saving this post and referring to it from now on.

First, to the future people I am referring: this is an example of why you need to be careful and specific when naming your fields and tables.

Now for you Demon: 'Value' is a reserved word in Access:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286335

When you use words on this list as table/query/field names, you will have issues when you write code. The system sees 'Value', thinks its a reserved word and treats it as such. It is unable to determine it is the name of your field.

The way around this is to put it in brackets ([Value]). The correct way is to not use 'Value' but to be more specific in your naming (e.g. SalesValue, UserValue), prefix 'Value' with what the value represents.

DemonDNF

Registered User.
Local time
..The way around this is to put it in brackets ([Value]). The correct way is to not use 'Value' but to be more specific in your naming (e.g. SalesValue, UserValue), prefix 'Value' with what the value represents.

----
Edit: That's the problem, Value is the correct technical term for this field.

And I can't prefix it, tblValue is linked to tblSpecs which is linked to tblParts. Parts can be anything; resistors, capacitors, transistors and who knows what electronic component that I have not used yet. Types of Specs are endless, pick up any datasheet. Now imagine the variety of Values for these Specs.
---
Edit 2: Oh, and I already have a linking field called SpecValue in another table. It's less confusing to use brackets in this case.
---

Square brackets worked like a charm. I had a nagging feeling Value was a reserved word, but didn't understand why it has been working for weeks now; in forms, reports and VBA.

I figure it must be the first time in SQL. If I have to use square brackets around Value in SQL, I can live with that.

But yes, I do understand the importance of staying away from reserved words (Basic, Fortran, Rpg, Assembler, Cobol, C, Java and a few others I'm forgetting). It's just that Access uses so many everyday terms. This is the first one I hit.

Having that list will come in handy though now that I have it.

Robert

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom