Installing accdc files (1 Viewer)

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:39
Hi All,

Using access 2013, the package solution is included, but the installation wizard is no longer included. I am trying to write my own install program. First, I wanted to ask you if it is possible? I mean, has anyone successfully been able to build an installer that copies the accdc files to the client, extracts them, and appropriately selects the extracted backend file for the front end when prompted? Perhaps the best I can do is install the accdc files, I don't know.

Thanks in advance,

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:39
If you know for a fact that your target PC already has an appropriate version of Access installed, you could build your install with Access. However, if one of the options needs to be to install the Access runtime, then obviously, this is not an option.

Windows natively supports msi files which are what the windows installer uses. Most installer apps give you a graphic interface to create a msi file. You could create them yourself with a text editor if you have sufficient documentation and a steady hand.

Personally, if you can spring for the bucks, I would go with the SageKey product. It does the best job of creating an install package for Access - better than the built in installer that comes with earlier versions for two reasons - 1. It handles the stupid security that originated in Office 2007 and 2. It handles the "Installing ....." issue where multiple versions of Access fight over control of the registry. It takes a little trial and error but the process is good and I have found it to be solid. My only complaint with SageKey is it requires a separate product for each version of Access which IMO is just a ploy for more money. They could easily tablize parameters by version if that were actually necessary.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:39
Thanks Pat,

I understand where you are coming from. I emailed SageKey and they are still testing their Access 2013 installer, so I purchased InstallAware. I plan on installing accdc files which, I believe, include access runtime. My assumption is that the user won't have access, but I don't think it will matter if I am deploying accdc files since these include runtime. Is this a bad assumption?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom