Intergrating MapPoint with Access (1 Viewer)

plhought

Local time
Today, 04:52
Howdy,

I'm developing a database for a local charter airline in my spare-time and looking to intergrate mappoint with access.

Basically, the Itinerary has a series of departure and arrival destinations, all in ICAO standard code (Calgary AB = CYYC, Detroit = KDTW...for example). What i'd like to do is use mappoint to calculate the direct distances between two airports, then take that data and input it into the Itinerary form/table.

Couple things...does anyone know if Mappoint supports ICAO codes? I've been playing with it and it doesnt seem to recognize them (any way I can make it recognize ICAO codes?)

Many thanks guys!

Eric Frost

Local time
Today, 05:52
Sorry I know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone is searching:

No MapPoint does not support ICAO codes, but if you have a table of lat/lon and the ICAO, then you could do it.

Also, if you import that table as Pushpins, then you could simply use the FindPushpin method to jump over to a different ICAO.

Note that due to flight patterns and stuff, the straight line distance between airports may be significantly different (always shorter, I hope anyway, unless they employ wormholes), so if you have an industry source of this data I'm sure it would be better than what you could calculate from MapPoint.

For small airports however maybe MapPoint is the best solution.

Eric

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:52
I am sure Eric will know this more precisely

but mappoint is really designed for road networks, I think (like a sat nav)

all you need is a lat-long for your airports, and then a simple great earth circle calculation to compute distances between 2 lat-longs.

(that calculation just calculates the number of seconds/minutes of arc between two points on the earth, ignoring spherical geometry idstortions - which directly converts to nautical miles.)

Eric Frost

Local time
Today, 05:52
Ahh, good point.

For straight line distance calculations I use code grabbed from here --

williams DOT best DOT vwh DOT net/avform.htm

See the downloadable spreadsheet with Excel VBA examples. I actually used this code in quite a few projects :)

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom