Is it possible to edit the contents of the Unhide Columns box in the datasheet part of a split form? (1 Viewer)

Harry Paraskeva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:46
Hello to all,

I've been trying to figure whether something is possible and trawling the web has not helped. The question is quite simple: When you right click on the column header in the datasheet part of a split form and select Unhide Fields, a box pops up with the available columns to hide/unhide by ticking them as options. However, is it possible to edit the contents of that box either via commands within the software or via VBA? It is clarified that by editing the contents I mean to be able to remove/restore the columns presented as choices in the box. I'm attaching a photo of the said box. My personal guess is that it is unlikely, but maybe some more experienced user knows of a workaround.

Thank you for any response.

Attachments

• Column_Chooser.png
    Column_Chooser.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:46
Split forms are a bit of law unto themselves, In a normal datasheet view you can hide and unhide columns in vba - no problem.
I'm not sure you can in a inbuilt split form without also hiding the same control in the top section.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:46
You may get some insight from this thread earlier in 2023. AHeyne provides some of his experiences with split forms.

Harry Paraskeva

Registered User.
Local time
You may get some insight from this thread earlier in 2023. AHeyne provides some of his experiences with split forms.
Useful reading, but I did not find anything related to the question. As far as I gather, the split form and datasheet Column Chooser control is not documented, therefore my hopes for being able to edit its contents are rather limited.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:46
What kind of edits are we talking about?

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:46
Useful reading, but I did not find anything related to the question. As far as I gather, the split form and datasheet Column Chooser control is not documented, therefore my hopes for being able to edit its contents are rather limited.
I found AHeyne's info quite helpful because of the lack of info on split forms. I meant the link more as a reference than a specific answer. His material did clear up some issues in the original thread.

Harry Paraskeva

Registered User.
Local time
I found AHeyne's info quite helpful because of the lack of info on split forms. I meant the link more as a reference than a specific answer. His material did clear up some issues in the original thread.
It is indeed a useful reading and documents aspects not found elsewhere.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You can independently hide/unhide columns in the datasheet portion of a standard split form.
To my mind this can actually be confusing and I have asked that some split form behaviour quirks be fixed.

I suggest you read my article linked below for more details of what you can / cannot do with standard split form and also why you may prefer to 'roll your own'

Harry Paraskeva

Registered User.
Local time
You can independently hide/unhide columns in the datasheet portion of a standard split form.
To my mind this can actually be confusing and I have asked that some split form behaviour quirks be fixed.

I suggest you read my article linked below for more details of what you can / cannot do with standard split form and also why you may prefer to 'roll your own'
I thought about disabling right-clicking altogether and creating a custom pop-up modal form that would allow the user select columns and then use VBA to hide/unhide them in the datasheet section, but it is too much hassle and not much to be gained. We need a split form cause I'm using a tab control (about 70 fields in 6 tabs) and also got an image preview, as each record has an image associated that is viewed in an unbound image control next to the tab control.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
All the alternative examples in my article behave like split forms but without their limitations

Harry Paraskeva

Registered User.
Local time
All the alternative examples in my article behave like split forms but without their limitations
I understood that from the article and it is indeed useful, but even if I do a Detail+Datasheet combination to imitate the traditional split form division, I would still not be able to control the contents of the Column Chooser box for the Datasheet form, right?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Datasheet forms are designed to allow users to add/remove columns in form view. So they are difficult to lock down unless you remove context menus.
However, you can instead use continuous forms in a simulated split form and have more control over what users can/cannot do

Harry Paraskeva

Registered User.
Local time
Datasheet forms are designed to allow users to add/remove columns in form view. So they are difficult to lock down unless you remove context menus.
However, you can instead use continuous forms in a simulated split form and have more control over what users can/cannot do
This confirms my suspicion that editing the contents of the show/hide column selection box is indeed impossible. Thank you for your time and information.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Not completely true. You can for example disable the split form shortcut menu.
Or, as already stated build a simulated split form with a continuous section instead of a datasheet.

What you can't do AFAIAA (at least not without a lot of code) is allow some fields to be hidden but not others

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom