Is there a Plan? (1 Viewer)

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 21:05
As we all know the so called global warming is not caused by motor vehicles. The changing patterns on the in the Sun and natural climate changes over time are ignored. As is the effect of the internet and satellites. We are now producing more goods than at any time in the past. China has probably built more coal fired power stations in the last 20 years than Britain and Europe did in over a century.

The IT industry is one of the largest consumer of power in the West but we never hear calls to stop buying iPhones, or to to stop using Amazon to save the planet. No call to shut down pointless digital currencies because of the huge power requirements.

Recently Virginia’s Dominion Energy ran so short of electricity that it halted connections to new data centres. A Panasonic battery factory is to be built in Kansas with a $6.8 BILLION federal subsidy. The subsidised batteries are to be used in subsidised electric vehicles. In order to provide electricity to the factory, the planned closure of a coal fired power station has been halted. So the net zero policy of the Greta Thumbrain zealots is to actually increase emissions. Down the line within ten years all of those batteries will need to be recycled, or more likely, buried in landfill. At present you will pay £3 to recycle a car tyre, expect £2,000+ for a ton of batteries from your car. Electricity is not the solution for motor vehicles, another power source is required. It will be cheaper to make existing engines increasingly efficient. Unelected dictators are now instructing us on what car we can buy. When every motor vehicle in Britain is an EV, we will need more than twice the generated power than today. Bearing in mind that it will take thirty years to take a power station from planning to producing, that ain’t going to happen any time soon.

Huge subsidies are being given to AI. Recently in Scientific American magazine columnist Ms Leffer wrote that if Google converted its search engine to an AI chatbot, it will probably need as much electricity annually as the whole of Ireland. But not just electricity is required. Many millions of gallons of cooling water will be needed by the data centres. At the same time huge restrictions are being placed upon the most efficient and least polluting gas-fired generators in favour of what are claimed to be renewables.

It does appear that we are all going to hell in a handcart.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 13:05
Sometimes we are living in hell on earth!

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 21:05
I beg to differ. We are standing still and giving Hell a stationary target to come to us.
Well, I don’t know about anyone else but if this is a some well known Southern philosophical wisdom. As with so many things American, I haven’t the faintest idea what it means. But hey-ho.

Last edited:

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:05
The IT industry is one of the largest consumer of power in the West but we never hear calls to stop buying iPhones, or to to stop using Amazon to save the planet. No call to shut down pointless digital currencies because of the huge power requirements.
Cognitive Dissonance!
The world evolved into a philosophy of implementing ersatz "solutions" that never really address the problems that they are supposed to be solving. It all about the (smoke and mirror) optics, not performance. We speak eloquently about being virtuous with displaying our support of a green environment, but when it gets down to actual deeds we buy the iPhones, the computers, and other high carbon footprint products.

There is a two panel cartoon of a bicyclist concerned about being green. The before panel show him with all sorts of stuff. The after panel (after he gets rid of all those bad high carbon footprint products) basically shows him with nothing, a naked person. (This cartoon should be somewhere on the forum, but I was unable to find it.)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:05
Well, I don’t know about anyone else but if this is a some well known Southern philosophical wisdom. As with so many things American, I haven’t the faintest idea what it means. But hey-ho.

Translation: We are not doing what is required to evade or avoid Hell. We are standing still doing nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom