Is there a way to send emails from asp.net without using SMTP? (1 Viewer)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Today, 12:30
Possible?

Kindly conclude.

Thanks.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:00
The issue is simple: If you don't use SMTP protocol, no "standard" mail client will receive your messages. SMTP protocol exists because everyone uses it by agreeing to use the protocol. Not only the sender uses SMTP protocol. So does the client (receiver).

Now, if you don't like a particular interface to SMTP (the protocol) because some PROGRAM that happens to be named SMTP is ugly, that is maybe a bit different.

Can you clarify what is going on? Because on one hand, your answer is "no chance in Hell" and on the other hand we might be able to offer some kind of alternative with a kinder, gentler interface.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
Can you clarify what is going on? Because on one hand, your answer is "no chance in Hell" and on the other hand we might be able to offer some kind of alternative with a kinder, gentler interface.
Thanks for the reply Doc. I am building a web App using asp.net which needs to send emails for member registration to send the verification code/links. But unfortunately, in my office (in the high levels, SMTP Ports are disabled)

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
web.config:
<System.Net>
<mailSettings>
<smtp from = "arrow.prabhakaran@gmail.com" deliveryMethod="Network">
<network host = "smtp.gmail.com" userName="arrow.prabhakaran@gmail.com" password="jfhfhf" port="587" enableSsl="true" />
</smtp>
</mailSettings>
</system.net>

Code:
            Dim mySMTP As New SmtpClient()
            With mySMTP
                .Credentials = New NetworkCredential("arrow.prabhakaran@gmail.com", "jfhfhf")
                .EnableSsl = True
            End With

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:00
But unfortunately, in my office (in the high levels, SMTP Ports are disabled)
If you have genuine need to send email, as requested by the business-side stakeholders of your ASP.Net application, the relevant ports for the application should be opened for your application.

SMTP is a standard protocol and has the benefit that you can easily swap mail servers or providers without changing the code of your application.

If you absolutely cannot use STMP directly, there are Email providers (e.g. Mailgun, SendGrid, or even the Microsoft 365 platform), which allow you to send emails with a REST-API call instead of SMTP.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
If you have genuine need to send email, as requested by the business-side stakeholders of your ASP.Net application, the relevant ports for the application should be opened for your application.

SMTP is a standard protocol and has the benefit that you can easily swap mail servers or providers without changing the code of your application.

If you absolutely cannot use STMP directly, there are Email providers (e.g. Mailgun, SendGrid, or even the Microsoft 365 platform), which allow you to send emails with a REST-API call instead of SMTP.
We are just trying to push the boundaries as much as possible from our department side. You know. If we go to the IT department, we have to go formally from creating indents to multiple approvals. Imagine if there is a way to send and receive emails without those hassles!!!

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:00
You know. If we go to the IT department, we have to go formally from creating indents to multiple approvals.
I know, I know.
But...
It is not a good idea to run an ASP.Net application inside your corporate network without involving the IT department. This might get you into trouble once IT finds out. If they are any good, they will find out eventually.

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
I know, I know.
But...
It is not a good idea to run an ASP.Net application inside your corporate network without involving the IT department. This might get you into trouble once IT finds out. If they are any good, they will find out eventually.
No. It's not like that. Our institute is just growing. Please try to see this way: "What if the IT doesn't know how to enable that?" That is the case in most of our institute infrastructure. I (also my team and my managers) are not trying to break our institution's law but basically we just don't want trouble other teams...

prabha_friend

Prabhakaran Karuppaih
Local time
My intuition is whispering me in the ears: "There must be a Way!"

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There IS a way. You take your problems to the manager and say, "These folks are preventing the implementation of this function that you assigned to me. I don't have enough clout - but either you do or nobody does." You absolutely DO NOT WANT to get involved in the politics. You've got enough trouble with the tech side. So make it the manager's problem to "persuade" someone to figure it out.

By the way ...

Please try to see this way: "What if the IT doesn't know how to enable that?" That is the case in most of our institute infrastructure.

This, if true, is grounds for FIRING the incompetent "IT" folks who don't know how to enable a protocol, or hiring some assistance for them who DOES know how to enable a protocol through a firewall. If this is true, it means that your IT folks are a major case of the blind leading the blind.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm going to add ANOTHER comment of a slightly different sort. You simply DO NOT WANT to use some alternative to a perfectly good method that has been refined and developed over the years since the original Internet protocol schemes were designed to WORK TOGETHER. By letting someone FORCE you into a hack to work around their incompetence adds to the cost of your engineering efforts. It FOREVER taints the most important design concept ever enunciated - K.I.S.S. - "Keep it simple, stupid" !! And since SMTP = "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" it is PERFECT for asserting the KISS principle.

The MOMENT that you let in some kind of foreign or alternative method, some obscure work-around, when there is a perfectly good standard available means that you are allowing incompetent people to use their ignorance as an excuse for their power play - or for their attempt to divert attention from their inability to get the job done. This is worse than parachute jumping on a budget, where you allow folks to persuade you to jump out of a perfectly good airplane and you HOPE that they packed your used parachute correctly and that it has no flaws, rips, or tangles.

@prabha_friend - you DEFINITELY need to flex some kind of expertise on this subject because otherwise your life will be FILLED with roadblocks caused by the incompetence of others. Not using SMTP (the protocol) is inexcusable. If they don't like the specific SMTP sender program, ask them if they have another SMTP sender they like. But don't let them deflect you from using SMTP protocol, which was DESIGNED to be used for sending mail and that has done so since 1981. See also the following: "RFC 788" - which is the specification for the first version of SMTP from 41 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom