Is there any kind of local setting that can override a date/time format specified in a table? (1 Viewer)

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:33
This one sounds a little odd, I know.

I have a table in an Access 2010 db, in which one of the fields has Date Type 'Date/Time'.
The format for the field is 'General Date, which includes a time component.
The field is auto-populated when a user enters a new record.

Of the 26 users, 25 have records which contain a time component.
One user always has just the date stored and the time component is always missing.

Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Oh, and we are in the process of upgrading to 2019, but doing it one db at a time, in case of issues, and this one is a few places further down on the list.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:33
It is precisely because you are using 'general date' that you are using the computer's regional setting. A date formatted using a specific formatting string will use the formatting string. A date using the named formats consults the regional settings. Is that what you were asking?

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the response.

So, this single user could have some kind of regional setting on his computer which doesn't include a time component?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:33
Just FYI, formatting is not the same as storing. In other words, the db may not display a time component, but the data might actually have one. You might want to test for that to be certain.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So, this single user could have some kind of regional setting on his computer which doesn't include a time component?
I would check that since you have only one user who does not see the time component.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Just FYI, formatting is not the same as storing. In other words, the db may not display a time component, but the data might actually have one. You might want to test for that to be certain.
I did check that. Thanks.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I would check that since you have only one user who does not see the time component.
Will do.
Always annoying when this stuff comes up, since IT insists we all have the same build and setup on our machines

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:33
When you say "some" users have a time component, that's not quite correct.
All Access dates have a time component.

if you enter a date such as #01/11/2023#, then the date is stored with a time component of zero.
If you enter a date such as #01/11/2023 09:00AM# the date has a time component of 9:00AM

If you display the date only, in both cases you will see #01/11/2023#
The time will be shown as appropriate if you choose to display the time.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Will do.
Always annoying when this stuff comes up, since IT insists we all have the same build and setup on our machines

Same build of Access I would believe. Same build of Windows I would believe. Same "setup" is an open-ended statement since that includes anything that anyone else has done because of having some special software requirement. The thing about regional settings is that they CAN depend on the last thing installed on a machine if the installed "thing" includes special formatting requirements. It can ALSO depend on the last thing RUN on the machine and whether it exited cleanly. In a strongly controlled environment, that "last thing run" would probably be limited to adjusting your profile - but the next thing run, if it was Access, is ALSO running in your profile.

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
Finally able to check the guy's machine (he was on vacation).
From what I can see, everything in the Date and Time settings is identical to my own PC.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You have two machines that behave differently on what should be identical inputs. If the difference didn't show up in the DATE/TIME settings then it is somewhere else - but there IS a difference. Computers are (should be) predictable when given identical circumstances. If they are not, then the circumstances were not identical. These are tough to track down.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Since you are using 'general date' you are reliant on regional settings. If it is important that it is shown in a form or report or query in a specific format then format it precisely using the Format function (when non editable) or define the format property string specifically.
What is not important is formatting in a table. No user should ever see or work with a table. Data entry and edit should only be done in forms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom