Joining two tables (1 Viewer)

fab547

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:21
Is there a simple way from access 2007 application to combine two tables into in an autonatic fashion. I mean by using a control button that would update the produced table at any given time?
Thank you for your support

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:21
Can you tell a little more about the 2 tables and what you are trying to do.

fab547

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for enquiring so quickly.
I am not good at programming in VBA and I find it quite strenuous to program macros.
I am having a try at setting up a database for a friend who makes handicraft knives.
The idea is that I have multiple tables that have identical structures and that are better to remain separated.
I will use these tables that contain information about the various items used in the fabrication process. I would like to do that from the same tables as it would then be easier for me to keep track of the inventory on each of this items. But from a practical point of views it would be more efficient to update the data in these separate tables.
Once I have selected the various items using an adapted form, I make up a cost price that has to be inserted into another "final products" table.
Such updating would have to be automatic as the raw materials might change in prices and thus generate a different cost price. Here I also have the issue of keeping track of the history of the final product cost price and the history of the raw materials cost price....
Now that I am explaining it, it seems like you will probably think my problem is too complicated....
Thank you anyway for proposing your help

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 14:21
The idea is that I have multiple tables that have identical structures and that are better to remain separated.
Can you tell us why it would be to have separate tables. IMHO this is not a good idea.

fab547

Registered User.
Local time
I use more than one table to avoid having to create a subcategory that would be empty for most items. In that sense each table could use the field category with whatever data suits best.
But I guess I can go around that problem and stick with only one table for all raw items.
These items are now managed in one database DB1 and the finished product is managed in another database DB2.
Once I have built the Cost price (CP) in DB1 I need to be able to update this CP in DB2. Can you suggest a simple way of doing so and by the same token build a history of these cost prices in DB1 and SP (sell prices) in DB2?
Thank you for your help

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:21
I suggest you research normalization and determine what entities/Tables are really in your "Business". Then design the tables and relationships accordingly.

I don't think arbitrarily sticking with 1 table... is the best approach.

The first few topics at this site Normalization, Entity relationship Diagramming and the 12 steps... should help put these concepts into perspective.

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/topic238.html

fab547

Registered User.
Local time
Good afternoon,

Thk you for your reply.
If you look at my previous posts that is what I thought to, but then the problem of aggregating and apending automatically multiple tables into that have a similar structure remains. Plus my other questions too. But I will also take a look at the suggested site.
Thank you

fab547

Registered User.
Local time
I am trying to stick to one table.
My problem now is that I cannot produce the fields I need in my subform.
I explain
I have a table Products, which is made up of a final product. That product is decomposed into individual parts which belong to the Raw materials table. The idea is to calculate the cost price of Product B with the individual amounts of various Raw materials products. When I build my subform Raw materials details out of a query between raw materials and raw materials details (in which I have included as a field the Product Name of table Products), I do not see any of the field. Actually when I run the query nothing happens. That means that I cannot even start "building" Product B.
Any reason for that not working??
Thank you for your help.
By the way which would be the best book that could explain all these simple tricks about access and the best book to learn VBA for access.
Rgds

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom