Joke (one for the Brits) (1 Viewer)

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Today, 06:36
Where angels fear to tread for the last time...

Oh dear, here's me just trying to take the rise mildly out of the differences in our respective senses of humour whilst responding to ShaneMan and it appears to have been taken as an insult to all Americans. That's not my style. Lighten up a bit Ken. I did comment, early on, to the effect that it probably wasn't the funniest joke in the world. (Sorry GaryPanic)
Quote "Oh dear I fear the joke wasn't strong enough to start with." Unquote

Quote "You guys must have dropped it overboard from the Mayflower!." Unquote
was meant to be tongue in cheek and referred quite plainly to the concept of wordplay as humour - not the entire American sense of humour.

You'll find that most of us Brits frequently don't "get" US humour - doesn't mean we don't have a sense of humour here any more than your difficulty in understanding what strikes us as funny means that you have none.

Vive la difference I say, I'd hate to holiday in the US and find all the locals ate fish and chips and spoke like Brummies (English regional accent from Birmingham). It's just a shame that another thread has descended into a dogfight yet again for no good reason.

I bet poor old GaryPanic will think twice now before unwittingly starting World War 3 with another innocent post.

On a personal note, I've finally reached the point where I no longer wish to participate in the non-Access part of this forum.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
One has to be aggresive if one's determined to get at the truth

A theory that I don't subscribe to but you obviously adhere to religiously.

The question as to why this place has turned into a [your] battleground has been answered me thinks.

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 01:36
ColinEssex said:
It's not funny to begin with:rolleyes: - the joke line is at the end

Now that was kind of funny - ;)

KenHigg

Local time
BarryMK said:
Quote "You guys must have dropped it overboard from the Mayflower!." Unquote
was meant to be tongue in cheek and referred quite plainly to the concept of wordplay as humour - not the entire American sense of humour.

As was my response (meant to be tongue in cheek) :eek: :eek: Sorry but I'm kinda seeing it as your inabilty to see the humour :confused:

BarryMK said:
On a personal note, I've finally reached the point where I no longer wish to participate in the non-Access part of this forum.

I certainly didn't me to cause you to leave - I thought we'd been doing better these days - Please don't abandon us :eek: :) :) :)

R

Rich

dan-cat said:
The question as to why this place has turned into a [your] battleground has been answered me thinks.
Funny how you've been involved in them too:rolleyes: :p

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Yesterday, 22:36
wow and i thought the f***ing menthol lockets were bad...

...rather tardy comment here... but the canadian guy got the joke in the original post...

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:36
You do know this thread is in the WATERCOOLER and not the political forum?
Geesh, the only place where one can argue whether a joke was humorous or not, and how all of the sudden the US does not have a sense of humor because of the KKK?!?! (for Rich :eek: :p :rolleyes: )
Take it over to the Political forum or chill a tad,

R

Rich

Now just hang on there for a rootin tootin second pardner, it was the American, Daniella, who turned the thread into a political topic:p :cool:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Now just hang on there for a rootin tootin second pardner, it was the American, Daniella, who turned the thread into a political topic:p :cool:

That ain't funny :mad: :p

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Childish teasing

(while holding finger inches from each reader's face)

"I'm not touching you.... I'm not touching you...."

I remember as a young girl, my exasperated mother would say to me and my little sister, "Can't you girls go one SINGLE day without fighting?????" I remember thinking, "I can't imagine so!" Now I wonder the same of this group.

Glimmer of hope, Sis and I finally did learn to get along. Will we?
Sure, she pisses me off once in a while.... but I certainly am a better person for having her as my sister. Aren't we better people for knowing each other as well?

Oh lord... I hope we really haven't lost Barry.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 07:36
BarryMK said:

You can't do that to us Barry. First of all, you're one of the few who's still able to relativate this ww 2.5 in the 'cooler and who in future will notify or provide us with free copies of any of Col's new CD/DVD releases ??? :confused: :rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
dan-cat said:
as I have observed before - it only turns into a 'battleground' when certain Americans decide to logon and post daft comments.:rolleyes:
when those Americans do not login for a week we have calm and sensible dialogue.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
rak said:
You can't do that to us Barry. First of all, you're one of the few who's still able to relativate this ww 2.5 in the 'cooler and who in future will notify or provide us with free copies of any of Col's new CD/DVD releases ??? :confused: :rolleyes:
Barry has removed me from his signature - it may be that he has resigned as my manager and promoter - I've not had notice of this yet officially.

Col

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Barry has removed me from his signature - it may be that he has resigned as my manager and promoter - I've not had notice of this yet officially.

Col

Sadly Col due to certain irregularities in our accounting procedures I've been forced to dispose of my shares in the corporation to Higg, Sanders, FoFa .inc of Douglasville, Ga who will be handling management, promotion and distribution in future. Your international career is certain to lift off under their guidance.

As for me I will look into the Cooler from time to time but I really don't see any point in contributing further.

Best wishes Barry.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Sorry Barry, I'm not going to be managed by an American consortium. The only thing they will do is think of money and not artistic quality. I would rather perform for free at a local fete.

All future CD's will be handled privately by a local studio.

Good luck - and thanks for all your hard work in record promotion - especially on that long trip you had in the Seychelles flogging my CD's

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
ColinEssex said:
as I have observed before - it only turns into a 'battleground' when certain Americans decide to logon and post daft comments.:rolleyes:
when those Americans do not login for a week we have calm and sensible dialogue.

Col

I'm sorry Col but I think it was this post that changed the tone of the thread

Unlike the KKK who used real people, now, what was your point again?

It all went down hill after that.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom