Jump to a specific record in a continuous form

Djblois

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:46
I want to be able to jump to a specific record using code in a continuous form based on a unique ID field. How can you do this?

The reason I want to be able to do this is I want my users to be able to search by Confirmation Number and jump right to that number.

You can do this with the Wizard that adds a combo box to go there but it would be something like this:
Code:
    ' Find the record that matches the control.
    Dim rs As Object

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone
    rs.FindFirst "[QuoteID] = " & Str(Nz(Me![cboSelect], 0))
    If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

I want to be able to jump to a specific record using code in a continuous form based on a unique ID field. How can you do this?

The reason I want to be able to do this is I want my users to be able to search by Confirmation Number and jump right to that number.

The following VB Code Opens a Form and either displays information pertaining to a particular Researcher for the purpose of Modification or Viewing, or displays a New Record to Add a new Researcher. It is activated by Double Clicking on the Researcher Control in the WorkOrders Form. You will need to substitute as required if it suits your needs.
Code:
Private Sub ResearcherID_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)    ' fmrWorkOrders
    Dim rst As Recordset

DoCmd.OpenForm "fmrPeople", acNormal

If IsNull(Me.ResearcherID) Then
        ' Start at the next available new record
        DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

[Forms]![fmrPeople].Form.Title.SetFocus

Else
        Set rst = Forms!fmrPeople.Form.RecordsetClone

rst.FindFirst "[Person_ID] = " & CStr(Me.ResearcherID.Column(1))

If Not rst.NoMatch Then
            Forms!fmrPeople.Form.Bookmark = rst.Bookmark
        Else
            MsgBox CStr(Me.ResearcherID.Column(0)) & " Not Found!"
        End If

[Forms]![fmrPeople].Form.Title.SetFocus

rst.Close
        Set rst = Nothing

End If

End Sub

ADDENDUM: It seems that Bob has beaten me to the post again.:eek: :o That's what I get for having a boss leaving for Europe in 1/2 hour.:D

Last edited:
I know how to open a new form with the recordset that I am looking form but I dont want that. I want to jump to a record that is on a continuous form. Here is a pic to explain it better.

Attachments

I know how to open a new form with the recordset that I am looking form but I dont want that. I want to jump to a record that is on a continuous form. Here is a pic to explain it better.

I believe that if a Form is already open, then the "Open a New Form" aspect of my example will be ignored, and the existing Form will be treated as if it were just opened. Since my example was based on clicking a box, the effect will be the same as you are looking for. Modify it as you require for your needs.

By the way, if all you want is to search a column on a form that is already opened, then Access has a built-in function to do that. You can access it by clicking on the icon on the Edit Toolbar that looks like a pair of Binoculars (or by typing Ctrl/F if you prefer Keyboard Shortcuts)

My code should do that (just make sure to reference the correct name). Or you can actually add a combo box to do that with the wizard. If you are on the continuous form, you can add a combo and the wizard will give you THREE options instead of the normal two. One is to find a record on your form. That's how I got my code. It works for Continuous forms as well as single forms.

You can do this with the Wizard that adds a combo box to go there but it would be something like this:
Code:
    ' Find the record that matches the control.
    Dim rs As Object

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone
    rs.FindFirst "[QuoteID] = " & Str(Nz(Me![cboSelect], 0))
    If Not rs.EOF Then Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

A little bit more comments will be helpful, i have similar situation, but all i need is to open form at record, which date field is most closer to current date.

Here's a simple modification of the above code to find (and go to) a record in a subform from a combo box that exists on a main form- the subform:

Private Sub Combo54_AfterUpdate()
On Error GoTo HandleErr

Dim rs As Object

Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone 'this is the main form
rs.FindFirst "[Employee ID Code] = " & str(Me![Combo54])
Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark

rs.Close
Set rs = Me.cleaningroutessub.Form.Recordset.Clone 'this is the subform

If Not rs.NoMatch Then
rs.FindFirst "[Employee ID Code] = " & str(Me![Combo54])
Me.cleaningroutessub.Form.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
Else
Debug.Print 'didn't work
End If

rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing

Exithere:
Exit Sub

HandleErr:
Select Case Err.Number
Case Else
Debug.Print "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description & " form_cleaning routes.Combo54_AfterUpdate"
End Select

End Sub

as in what i posted first of all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom