Solved Limit combo box value based on another combo box value in table (1 Viewer)

Jianxiang

Local time
Today, 22:12
Hi guys,

Is there a way to limit combo box value by another combo box selection? I know it is easier to do with form, but is it possible to do this only with table? Maybe using after update macro? Thanks for the help!

E.g., once I select the value in the "Question Type" combo box, the selections in the "Question Remarks" will be limited according to the value selected in the "Question Type" combo box.

Capture.PNG

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:12
Yes. It is called Cascading Combos.

Search here or Google for that phrase.

Jianxiang

Local time
Today, 22:12
Yes. It is called Cascading Combos.

Search here or Google for that phrase.
Hi,
thanks for the reply. But is it possible to create cascading combos in table? I only know the way to create it in form.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Cascading combo’s are not possible in a table. Use a datasheet form based on a table

since this will be continuous, you need to use a different process to a single form

see this link

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 10:12
I have to ask, why on earth are you making combo boxes in your tables? All data should be entered via a form or appended via an import of data. There just isn't any good reason to do such a thing directly in a table. It suggests that you are entering data directly into the table which you should not do.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Also combos indicate table lookups (well to me at least) and should be avoided, unless you know exactly how they work. Even then there are drawbacks to them.

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 07:12
Hi,
thanks for the reply. But is it possible to create cascading combos in table? I only know the way to create it in form.
Not only can you not create cascading combo boxes within a table, creating ANY lookup, or combo box, field in a table is the equivalent of pouring yourself a cup of sugar and gagging on it when you take a sip. It sure sounds sweet before you experience it, but it turns out to be really unpleasant in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom