Local News (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 13:39
In an effort to narrow the gap between how some of the UK'rs think thing are in the US of A and how thikgs really are, I thought I would provide this link:

WSB TV - Local Atlanta TV Station / News

This is were me and the little lady get most of the news. The 'Webcast on demand' video link is exactly what we what each morning and afternoon. These local news stations do have an 'if it bleeds it leads' mentality which they catch a lot of flax over...

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
In an effort to narrow the gap between how some of the UK'rs think thing are in the US of A and how thikgs really are, I thought I would provide this link:

WSB TV - Local Atlanta TV Station / News

This is were me and the little lady get most of the news. The 'Webcast on demand' video link is exactly what we what each morning and afternoon. These local news stations do have an 'if it bleeds it leads' mentality which they catch a lot of flax over...

It's even more bloody depressing than our local news, perhaps you should try something a little more light hearted

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:39
Why here is an interesting tidbit from Reuters:

WASHINGTON, Feb 10 (Reuters) - The U.S. budget registered a surprisingly big surplus of $20.99 billion in January as strong receipts outweighed spending, a Treasury Department report showed on Friday.

January's surplus compared with a $8.58 billion surplus in January 2005 and a $10.98 billion surplus in December.

Economists were expecting an $8 billion surplus in the month.

The cumulative deficit for fiscal 2006, which began Oct. 1, so far was $98.32 billion, below the $109.48 billion deficit in the first four months of fiscal 2005.

Outlays jumped to $209.02 billion from $193.64 billion in January a year ago, while receipts were $230.01 billion, up from $202.22 billion in January 201,05.

Receipts and outlays were both at record highs for the month of January, Treasury said.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:39
KenHigg said:
In an effort to narrow the gap between how some of the UK'rs think thing are in the US of A and how thikgs really are, ...

Your site is very informative Ken. "Two people shot in the head" - must be an everyday occurrance I suspect. Don't forget the "breaking news". . . . .
"Barbie is the most fashionable girl on the planet. So, of course, she appreciates the new look Ken is sporting," said Lauren Dougherty, a Mattel publicist. "But we'll have to stay tuned to see whether these two will get back together."
Gosh, I can't wait - its so exciting:rolleyes:

Sorry America, but they are not real, they are toy dolls:rolleyes: "Barbie the most fashionable girl on the planet"??????
Christ, its no wonder the US appears to live in a dream world:rolleyes: That person Lauren Dougherty needs some kind of therapy I think;)

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Silly me. Why did I think I could spark a civil discussion...

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hi Ken

Don't know why but I never realised you had snow in Atlanta, is it a normal annual occurence? Does it last long? Perhaps I'll check out you climate as I've nothing to do:)

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
Good AM Brian, Yes we do get a little snow here but it rarely sticks. About 8-10 years ago we got 8 inches - the most anyone had ever seen. We do get snow in the north Ga. mountains - about an hour north of Atlanta... BTW, Does it snow in there in GB?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
GB gets snow each winter, but it varies greatly across our small island with Scotland and the east coast in general plus the south west corner, Rich's area, getting the most.

In God's chosen area, ie Merseyside, we get very little, I think we had 1/4 inch one night, caused chaos:D .

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
If you do get through Georgia on a trip, here's a quite relaxing place in the moutains where cupcake and I went for a week-ender last year:

Link

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Looks good Ken, unfortunately my eye problems rule out driving holidays now.
We should have been down your way this April on a coach tour , starting in Dallas ending in Washington but Katrina ruled out New Orleans and as we had been there we were willing to accept the alternatives of Natchez and Savannah(sp) but with not enough takers the trip has been cancelled.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Brianwarnock said:
Essex of course has no bad news
We get loads of bad news Bri, people fighting, drunks, knifings, robberies, road rage, we even had a shooting near Chelmsford a couple of years ago.:rolleyes:

Pretty much the same as the rest of the UK really.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hi Col,

we even had a shooting near Chelmsford a couple of years ago.
things a bit slow:rolleyes: , we've had 5 shootings in the past week, the police reassure us that they are all "targeted" , a euphemism for gang related I think.:eek:

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
We get loads of bad news Bri, people fighting, drunks, knifings, robberies, road rage, we even had a shooting near Chelmsford a couple of years ago.:rolleyes:

Pretty much the same as the rest of the UK really.

Col

Here's a couple ideas:

Fighting: Make it illegal to make a fist.
Drunks: Outlaw achohol
Knifings: Outlaw knifes (We all can use soft butter or spoons)
Robberies: Illegal to carry anything in public, including wallets, etc
Road rage: Outlaw cars (Or maybe just outlaw other people driving cars)
Shooting: Outlaw guns (Working on that one already :))

:) :) :)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
KenHigg said:
Silly me. Why did I think I could spark a civil discussion...

Is discussing the love life of Barbie and Ken not civil discussion then? Kens new look was splashed across our papers here - of course being in the UK, they said it was modelled on David Beckham:rolleyes:

I was laughing at that woman Lauren's quote:D - she really needs to get out more

Col

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Fuel for the fire - chuck another Barbie on the Barbie

Ms Dougherty obviously takes her role seriously as these googles will attest.

Get out more - she needs to revisit the home planet now and then.;)

Mattel Gives Ken a New Look - Raving Toy Maniac - The Latest News ...said Lauren Dougherty, publicist for Barbie® doll. ... The Mattel family is comprised of such best-selling brands as Hot Wheels®, Matchbox®, American Girl® ...
www.toymania.com/news/messages/7887.shtml - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

AOL News - Mattel Hopes the Reunited Couple Will Boost EarningsMattel is hoping Ken's return to retail stores can also revitalize the ... For her part, Barbie publicist Lauren Dougherty said Barbie "appreciates the new ...
aolsvc.news.aol.com/business/ article.adp?id=20060209081909990015&cid= - 29k - 11 Feb 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

KIROTV.com - Money - Ken Hopes New Makeover Will Make Barbie's Jaw ...So, of course, she appreciates the new look Ken is sporting," said Lauren Dougherty, a Mattel publicist. "But we'll have to stay tuned to see whether these ...
www.kirotv.com/money/6910119/detail.html - 62k - Cached - Similar pages

Norwich Bulletin - www.norwichbulletin.com - Norwich, Conn."Ken had some time to think it all over and (decided) he needed a new look," said Barbie spokeswoman Lauren Dougherty. "A makeover was inevitable." ...
www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ article?AID=/20060211/LIFESTYLE/602110301/1024 - 29k - 11 Feb 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Ken gets face-lift for love, moneyOn Thursday, Ken was trotted out by his handlers at Mattel, where the honchos are ... Barbie and win her back," said Barbie spokeswoman Lauren Dougherty. ...
www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/ 20060210/NEWS07/602100307/1001/NEWS - 18k - 11 Feb 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Features -- Ken gets a makeover, hopes ...Mattel said in February 2004 that Barbie and Ken had split after 43 years ... For her part, Barbie publicist Lauren Dougherty said Barbie ”appreciates the ...
www.signonsandiego.com/news/ features/20060209-0936-life-ken.html - 30k - 11 Feb 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

Ken gets face-lift for love, moneyOn Thursday, Ken was trotted out by his handlers at Mattel, where the honchos are ... Barbie and win her back," said Barbie spokeswoman Lauren Dougherty. ...
www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/ 20060210/NEWS07/602100307/1001/NEWS - 18k - 11 Feb 2006 - Cached - Similar pages

:D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom