Looking for a laptop (1 Viewer)

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:59
Any suggesstions? I am looking at the Dell 14r. It is cheap, and students get a free xbox 360. Also, they ship to apo. Most others dont. What do you think?

Dell

Please make a suggestion. The only must is hdmi out for watching movies on my 40" LED.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:59
I do not know much about the Dell laptops. I know we have a bunch of Dell servers a few years ago and we ended having to have almost all the hard drives replaced (what a pain).

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I don't know much about who ships overseas, but you can check out:

http://www.slickdeals.net

Many of the deals posted here are in store only, but most are online. I know most of the users are US users, but maybe some of the online stores will ship overseas.

Now is also the best time to buy a laptop. Back to school specials will continue through September as companies struggle to get rid of old(er) equipment for new models for 2011 Christmas time. This is the "Black Friday" time for laptop and computer buying, as it's referred to in the computer market. This is also why Dell is offering their deal. You should really consider one of the cheaper models from that site though, as a 360 is really not that expensive anymore and many models are close to half off. I saw one the other day with HDMI and an HD graphics card, quad-core processor, 6 gb ram, and a 500 gb hard drive for 449.99 on there. No 360, but you can get one of those pretty cheap. ;)

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Dells dont seem to last long in my family. They all seem to have the same problems too, battery/charger go bad. Got my gf one that lasted 1 year and I of course didn't get the extended warranty.

I'm really like acers, but you wont get a free xbox!

I, like Vass, use slickdeals, but I also use this site. http://www.techbargains.com/ have found many laptops from this.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, I will check out those sites. I was talking to some friends, and all of them told me not to get a Dell. They all want me to spend more and get and i7 processor with a video card. I'm probably going to do that.

Vassago

Local time
I'm not a fan of Intel. I've always been an AMD fanboy. That being said, I can't endorse your friend's suggestion. :D :p

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Seems to me like the consensus says AMD is good, but made for lower end computers.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
The higher end laptops have i5s or i7s. The lower ones have i3 or AMD, or so I've seen in my browsing.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Besides, I don't really see how the end user should care because either it works or it doesnt. I'm sure AMDs chips work just as well as comparable Intel chips.

Vassago

Local time
They are definitely NOT lower end. There are plenty of AMD laptops that are just as expensive as high-end Intel chips. What I like about AMD laptops is they play nicer with graphic cards, since AMD also produces the video chips for most laptops with AMD processors. But trust me, if you saw how fast my quad-core AMD chip is, you wouldn't call it lower end. ;)

Not to mention, they just released new combined chips that combine the cpu and vpu into one chip, making them the most energy efficient chips on the market. They concensus is that they are just as powerful as their stand-alone counterparts as well. This is what you get when your company excels at both. :D

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
So I tried to buy this but for some reason they wont ship it to me.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:59
I'm a great fan of either Sony Vaio or Acer, unless you are really hard core computation calculation or wicked rendering, a decent processor with Windows 7 and adequate memory will do. My favourite for looks is the Apple MacBook Air.

Simon

Vassago

Local time
Eww, Apple products are being mentioned... :p

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Too rich for my blood. I really like their designs though. Also, I love windows 7.

asgard

Registered User.
Local time
I've heard some Dells fail after several years. Theyy're basically work computers but some just push them too hard....

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:59
cheaper the better for me

i just bought a acer refurb from currys -W7, 3Gb, 320Mb HDD, and came with excel/windows starter, and a inbuilt webcam - £179. That deal is finished now, though.

great for portable database building.

-----
I bought a desktop from a pawn shop a while back - been great - but they dont seem to have such good laptops

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
And what kind of operating system are you running on that 320 Mb HHD, a monster of a hard disk.

I bought a Sony Viao just last week, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom