Lookup values in existing database

azimuth79

jmiller
Local time
Today, 06:19
I've been racking my brain the last couple of days trying to figure out how to solve this problem, and I believe I've reached the end of my rope. I have a feeling that this isn't very difficult to a more savvy Access person, but I am at a loss.

Here's the situation. I have received a fairly large DB containing CCTV data for sanitary sewers. There are primarily two tables I'm dealing with, one lists a number (auto-number) for each pipe that was televised. Simple enough. The other uses this legacy number to show all deformities or service leads within a particular length of pipe. For example, for run X, there may be 7 rows in the table with X as the ID, one for each service lead along that length of pipe (I hope this is making sense :()

Ultimately, we need to tie this database into our GIS theme. To do this, I will need to add to the PipeID number from our GIS theme to the access table. What I've done so far is to create a new table in the DB with the number for each pipe televised, and I've manually added the corresponding PipeID number from the GIS in the second column. What I'm hoping to do is add a new column to my occurrence table so that for each occurrence X, I can add the GIS PipeID number. Perhaps this would make more sense:

Run # PipeID
1 S143
1 S143
1 S143
1 S143
2 S231
2 S231
2 S231
2 S231
3 S543
3 S543
3 S543

I've gone ahead and created the relationship between the newly created table and the existing table based on that auto-number field, and I've made the new PipeID column a combo box. This shows all of my PipeID numbers, which is a good thing. I'm hoping there's a way for it to automatically recognize the auto-number field and populate the PipeID field accordingly.

Have you ever known what you want to say, but not quite understood how to say it? That's kind of how I feel about this question, and I do apologize if I've made no sense. But if I have, and anyone has any suggestions for me, they would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Azimuth

Perhaps if you give us the details of the fields in all the tables it would help.

It seems to me that you are trying to duplicate the data in several tables whereas a query that brings all the data together in one place is probably the right way to do it. If you're not an 'Access person' you may be looking at this as if it was a spreadsheet.

Thank you Neil for your response. I had a feeling I had given a bit of a convoluted question.

I looked into your query idea, and I think that may be the ticket. I had a feeling it was going to be something silly. Why I didn't consider the query in the first place I'll never know. Thank you very much for jogging my memory!!

Cheers,

Azimuth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom