Macro to Enter data from userForm into unlinked table (1 Viewer)

mgav

Local time
Today, 11:02
My db has tblBrokerage, tblHedgeB. They share 9 columns. (Edit - I understand that duplicate data is terribel design however it is a client request for reference when completing the different user forms) tblBrokerage has a Form where users will enter data for tbl_Brokerage. It has a button I've been building a macro for to send data for the shared columns from the Form to the shared colulmns in tblHedgeB.

I imagine the correct steps to be:
1. create a local variable equal to the value of the txtBox containing the first shared column (Bnum)
2. open the table tblHedgeB
3. go to a new record
4. enter the variable value into the column for Bnum

I believe I have steps 1-3 completed but cant figure out step 4.
The steps I build are also just for 1 shared column, not 9, not sure how to approach that yet.

1685652623508.png

1685655507423.png

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:02
Why not use a bound form? You're making things very difficult for yourself.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 10:02
2 huge red flags--using a macro and calling fields 'columns'. Not picking on you, but those are signs of inexperience. Everyone has to start some where and maybe you aren't that familiar with access, so..

I have to ask--why are you not just using a bound form?

It seems you are trying to reinvent the wheel because you don't know how simple wheels are to use.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Found a 3rd even huger red flag on a reread

My db has tblBrokerage, tblHedgeB. They share 9 columns.

That's not how databases are to work. You don't duplicate data all over the place. Instead you relate tables and once they are in a relationship you can use queries to combine them to get all the data you need together.

I fear you have not set up your tables properly. That process is called normalization:

Before you start working on forms you need to set up your tables and fields correctly. Give the link above a read, work on some tutorials and then apply what you learn to your database.

mgav

Local time
Why not use a bound form? You're making things very difficult for yourself.
Its bound to a different table, though I didnt even think to check about linking it too

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:02
Its bound to a different table, though I didnt even think to check about linking it too
Then Plog's excellent thoughts about normalization come into play. Perhaps if you gave us an overview of your table structure someone could offer some better alternatives.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Put aside forms for now. We need to focus on your tables and fields. Probably the best way is for you to upload a sample database. You can strip out all the data and upload if it has sensitive data.

Or you can complete the Relationship Tool in your database, expand all tables so we can see every field, take a screenshot and post that pic back here.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 16:02
O/P states they are not able to respond to this thread.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
New user, not enough posts to include attachments.

From what I can tell by the original post, you seem to be trying to store the same data in multiple tables. That isn't the way relational databases work. Each attribute is stored in one place. You use queries to join tables together so you can select columns from each table and work with them as a set.

Try using a bound form to work with the data. Access makes this pretty easy. You can start with a wizard that uses either a table or a query as its RecordSource. This binds the form to that table/query. Then you can pick columns from the list of available fields and Access will build a form. It will have bound controls. When you change the value of a control, Access will eventually save that into the table. You can force an immediate save by pressing the save icon in the Ribbon. Or, you can navigate to a new record or close the form. Whenever you do something using the interface that makes the form move to a different record, Access will ALWAYS save the record you just dirtied. Once you get the hang of how a bound form works, you will get to the point where your question becomes -- How can I STOP Access from saving a record:) Then we'll talk about various form events and where you need to put code to control how the form works.

You need to get to 10 posts before the site will allow you to post attachments. So, stick with us and see how we can do this using just our words:)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We can tell by his post count that he cannot include any attachments or links.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 16:02
We can tell by his post count that he cannot include any attachments or links.
Yes, but they have tried without either?
I was going to suggest clearing cache, but has they have tried two other browsers, that is not going to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom