Mapping VBA Code to show tables affected by VBA

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the dependency checker that @ebs17 linked to. It sounds like it would be helpful. Personally, I hate addins so I won't use a tool like this as an add in. I far prefer to have it operate as a standalone database as the documenters do.

Since you are in a corporate environment, you should be able to get your boss to pay for a tool that will save you time and therefore, save him money. Take a look at the TotalAccessAnalyzer tool you can find at FMSINC.com And also look at Collin's paid tool. Try Colin's sample. FMS doesn't offer a sample version but they will send you a file that has all the various reports in it so you can see what is available. Maybe you need both of the tools, although, Collin might be able to tell you about differences between hes tool and TAA. If each tool saves you a day's worth of work, it has more than paid for itself. Take a look at Crystal's tool also. I don't know whether there is a paid version available. Each tool presents the data in a slightly different way and one may make more sense to you than the other.

If you want to program in the classic way and understand what is happening, there is always a way open:
- Export the Access objects of interest using SaveAsText. This creates text files with the complete definitions of the objects. Anyone can read and evaluate plain text.
- With simple text analysis, you can identify click procedures (buttons) as well as affected tables, whereby queries used can also use tables.
- You can deepen the analysis according to your own requirements.

For a visual representation beyond a tree view, you have to invest your own work. Normally, you convert a program flow chart into code. There is probably no prepared means for the opposite route. Good code is self-explanatory in terms of its name, content and structure without further comments.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the dependency checker that @ebs17 linked to. It sounds like it would be helpful. Personally, I hate addins so I won't use a tool like this as an add in. I far prefer to have it operate as a standalone database as the documenters do.

Since you are in a corporate environment, you should be able to get your boss to pay for a tool that will save you time and therefore, save him money. Take a look at the TotalAccessAnalyzer tool you can find at FMSINC.com And also look at Collin's paid tool. Try Colin's sample. FMS doesn't offer a sample version but they will send you a file that has all the various reports in it so you can see what is available. Maybe you need both of the tools, although, Collin might be able to tell you about differences between hes tool and TAA. If each tool saves you a day's worth of work, it has more than paid for itself. Take a look at Crystal's tool also. I don't know whether there is a paid version available. Each tool presents the data in a slightly different way and one may make more sense to you than the other.
Pat
I assume you are aware that Total Access Analyzer runs as an add-in?

I am. I didn't say I'm happy about that but clients prefer to pay for a tool from a company like FMS than to use a tool created by someone who might not be able to provide support. And they will not allow free stuff.

I would have preferred that you address the differences between your tool and theirs since I have not tested yours.

I would have preferred that you address the differences between your tool and theirs since I have not tested yours.
Sorry but I don't think its appropriate for me to compare two commercial products such as Database Analyzer Pro & Total Access Analyzer in a public forum. Or indeed compare either of those with free tools such as Crystal's Analyzer

There are obviously many similarities between each product but also significant differences.
Anyone interested should view the web pages for each (linked above) and draw their own conclusions about the range of features and prices.

We evaluate tools here for others all the time but since one of them is yours, I guess that wouldn't be fair.

We evaluate tools here for others all the time but since one of them is yours, I guess that wouldn't be fair.
That’s partly my point though I still wouldn't be willing to give a detailed comparison of several different apps … even if none of them were mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom