Math trick

selenau837 said:
That's better. Thank you Richy poo!! :D :D

Good grief... He got a 180 with a simple 'show 'em girl'...

selenau837 said:
Ummm, Rich. You're one that I am afraid of pointing out my mistakes.

Before you get puffed up, that is not an insult. That is actually a compliment that I am willing to take the time and make sure my grammar is accurate, so not to offend those who do have proper grammar.

Is that a run on sentence??? :confused:

Believe it or not, I am actually afraid half the time to post here. There is one person on here that has helped get my confidence up. I owe them alot. *softly smiles*. They can bring themself out or not, it is up to them. But they have been a god sent when it comes to my confidence and writting abilities. One day I'll take them to dinner. :D

Now my secret is out so go easy on me. :( I rarely expose myself in such ways, but I feel like I know you all well enough to share that part of me.

Off to get the kids.

No cliff hangers around here.! Who was it? :mad:

selenau837 said:
Off to get the kids.
Give them hugs for us!

selenau837 said:
Ummm, Rich. You're one that I am afraid of pointing out my mistakes.
that was just affectionate teasing on one occassion ;)

KenHigg said:
How in the world did anyone come up with this?

Um, it's really not hard when you think about it Ken. :o

1. Grab a calculator. (you won't be able to do this one in your head)
2. Key in the first three digits of your phone number (NOT the area code)
3. Multiply by 80
4. Add 1
5. Multiply by 250
6. Add the last 4 digits of your phone number
7. Add the last 4 digits of your phone number again.
8. Subtract 250
9. Divide number by 2

Do you recognize the answer

First of all, in order to get your 3 digit prefix out to a telephone-length number you have to multiply it by 10000. OK, so if you want to divide by 2 at the end you have to multiply it by 20000. Well, 250 * 80 = 20000. The whole business about adding one and then multiplying by 250, well that just adds an extra 250 (the extra 1 250 times) which is why you subtract the extra 250 at the end. Same thing for adding your last 4 digits in twice, so when you divide by 2 you have your phone number. Make any sense?

I've always liked math though, so I like to sit and think about these things sometimes. :D

Edit: P.S. - I'm not trying to sound like a know it all. Maybe you guys knew all of this already. I just like playing with math problems. I admit it. I'm a geek. :)

Last edited:
Hum... That was quite simple - You have a good way of explaining things :):):)

MrsGorilla said:
I've always liked math though, so I like to sit and think about these things sometimes. :D

Would you like to do my tax returns? :p

dan-cat said:
Would you like to do my tax returns? :p

I said math, not taxes. :D

I could probably do it, but in all honesty I hate the very word 'tax' and so would rather just pay someone else to do mine. :D

MrsGorilla said:
Edit: P.S. - I'm not trying to sound like a know it all. Maybe you guys knew all of this already.

Of course we did:p :D

selenau837 said:
I am currently in college on top of being a single mom who works full time. My grades are high enough that I was accepted into two differnt honor societies at the college I attend.

That is what I gained. :)

Now that I understand that is certainly worth an English "Well Done".

L

MrsGorilla said:
Um, it's really not hard when you think about it Ken.
That's actually pretty cool, Cindy. I'm somewhat disappointed that extra steps where added to the "trick" to make it appear to be much more amazing than it really is. :mad: Especially when there are plenty of things in math that are mind-blowing all on their own. Like that "Let's Make a Deal" probability thing, for exampe.

Len Boorman said:
Now that I understand that is certainly worth an English "Well Done".

L

Thank you very much. :D

Kraj said:
That's actually pretty cool, Cindy. I'm somewhat disappointed that extra steps where added to the "trick" to make it appear to be much more amazing than it really is. :mad: Especially when there are plenty of things in math that are mind-blowing all on their own. Like that "Let's Make a Deal" probability thing, for exampe.

No kidding. I ended up with an Associate's degree in Math, plus the upper level math classes that I took for my B.S. in Computer Science, so I know that my knowledge about math is just the tip of the iceberg in the grand scheme of things. :( Not to mention I've forgotten most of what I knew. :mad:

By the time I finished school I was really getting into some interesting things math-wise but they were also very difficult. :eek: I don't think I'll probably ever go back to take any more math classes....

Regardless of how smart Selena is, and how many Greek letters she amasses behind her name, it's a very clever math trick, and Selena deserves kudos for her accomplishments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom