Maybe someone has a good suggestion (1 Viewer)

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:38
I have been looking around quite a bit to see if I could find an easy answer (its never easy), but have had no luck.

I have an Access system that runs fine in Access2K, but all I get are reference errors in 2K2. Is there a simplistic way to get these refrences to register? Would creating a form in the developers edition, assigning all the refrences to it, then "compile" it so that when the install is executed on the other machine - the refrences will be installed. Make any sense?

KeithIT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:38
do you know which references are missing? Do you know (it sounds like you do) how to check for this information? It is possible that with your install of 2002 your references aren't installed properly, try updating your version of MDAC and then reset all of the missing references.

Also check out the following thread in FAQs:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=61060

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
I appreciate the suggestion on the MDAC, but would that update the refrences?

I do know where to look, but the required ones are listed as missing. I have just started at this place and they had this running fine on 2k, but we just gave them a new box with XP pro and 2002 on it, and now it chokes. I actually dloaded the refrenced items from microsoft, but only the msgboxs quite poping up, the app does not work as expected.

I appreciate the suggestions, and will read on in the link you provided.

Thanks

workmad3

***** Slob
Local time
Today, 12:38
switch back to 2k? access isnt exactly compatible between versions, and changing version isnt as easy as installing the new version over the old one

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Switching is not an option. The new version is on a new box, and the old is getting replaced.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:38
Make note of the MISSING references and uncheck them. OK back out and recompile. If that does not work then go back to the references and check the ones that were missing and try the compile again.

jeremie_ingram

Registered User.
Local time
Were not compiled at all. This is simply a database some third part designed and it includes refrences that are not accesible from the new version of access. I will make note on these and further research MS on them. I appreciate everyones help.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:38
Just for the record, if this is an .mdb file then Access *only* executes compiled code; either with your help or without it.

KeithIT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:38
Sorry Jeremie,
Yes updating the MDAC will, most likely, update the references. You will still have to go in and remove and then reassociate them, but yes, MDAC 8.0 sp1 will contain the references that are missing provided they are Microsoft programming references and not from a specific program (i.e.: Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc). If these are the references you are missing, then reinstall the software that the reference works with, or just remove the reference.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom