Question Migrating Split DB to SQL (1 Viewer)

jonathanchye

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:22
Due to recent changes in the company I'm required to convert/migrate the backends of my MS Access 2010 databases to SQL.

I've experimented with using the built in tool but seem to have some problems with some of my forms and queries. I guess it would be the stricter restrictions of SQL servers vs MS Access.

I currently do have a basic SQL server connection to manage user pings. Basically a simple code which checks every few seconds to see if the user is still logged on and updates a table on a SQL Express Server. Very basic stuff but seems to have been working well.

My implementation plan is to host the SQL using Hyper-V running Windows Server 2012 and SQL 2012 R2. I'd have to consult with our IT vendor and also find out the costs but from research this seems to be the ideal solution. What RAM would be the recommended minimum?

I am hoping that someone who have done something like this before can kindly provide some tips and pointers or perhaps provide any links/sources of helpful information.

Thank you!

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Perhaps if you can give us an idea of the specific difficulties you are having we would be able to give you help. In these situations as much detail as possible is always useful

jonathanchye

Registered User.
Local time
Apologies - I should've gone into more details.

First, I am planning to run the SQL Server on Hyper-V (virtual) running Server 2012 and SQL 2012. (If doesn't meet budget I might consider 2008 R2). What are the thoughts on this?

Secondly, I believe the "Attachment" field in MS Access 2010 is not supported in SQL. What would be my best option for migration? There are data with attachments so I am not sure how to handle this.

Finally I've picked up some VBA functions and also queries that are not compatible with the SQL backend. This wasn't picked up with the Upsizing Wizard. I guess the only way to iron this out is to debug the issues one at a time. Is there any beginners guide out there that I can read up on?

It's still early days but this project would be a career defining one for me so I'm really nervous. I have to write a project proposal soon so would like to cover as much ground as I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom