Move recordset based on list box selection (1 Viewer)

dapfeifer

Bringing Maverick Mojo
Local time
Yesterday, 19:10
Hey all,

I'm developing a gradebook database, and for grade input I have a list box of students that users can select multiple students at a time from.

I'm having a problem getting the recordset to the right record, and actually I don't think its moving to the right record at all. Here's the code as it stands for when user hits the form's save button (a bit messy, I know):

Code:
Private Sub cmdSave_Click()
Dim strQuery As String
Dim students As Recordset
Dim varItem As Variant
Set students = cmbStudID.Recordset
'Make sure students are selected
students.MoveLast
'If (cmbStudID.ItemsSelected() = 0) Then
    'MsgBox "Error: No students selected", vbCritical
   ' Exit Sub
'End If
students.MoveFirst

If (Grade.Value = "") Then
    MsgBox "Error: No grade entered", vbCritical
    Return
End If
DoCmd.SetWarnings False
'Do Until students.EOF
    For Each varItem In Me.cmbStudID.ItemsSelected
    txtHold.Value
        students.MoveFirst
        students.FindFirst (students.Fields("StEnroll_ID").Value = Me.cmbStudID.Value)
    'If cmbStudID.Selected Then
    If (has_grade(students.Fields("StEnroll_ID"), cmbTestID.Value) = True) Then
    ' If this is an updated record write an update query
        strQuery = "UPDATE tblGrades SET Grade_Score = " & Grade.Value & ", Grade_Date = #" & Now() & "# WHERE StEnroll_ID = " & students.Fields("StEnroll_ID") & " AND Test_ID = " & cmbTestID.Value & ";"
    Else
       strQuery = "INSERT INTO tblGrades(StEnroll_ID,Grade_Score,Grade_Date,Test_ID) VALUES (" & students.Fields("StEnroll_ID") & "," & Grade & ",#" & Now() & "#," & cmbTestID & ");"
    End If
    'End If
        DoCmd.RunSQL strQuery
    Next varItem
    'students.MoveNext
'Loop
DoCmd.SetWarnings True

There are additional functions, but I'm pretty sure the FindFirst function isn't actually doing what I want it to, which is to move to the corresponding student in the record list in order to grab its value and have the grade assigned to the correct StEnroll_ID.

Any help would be appreciate, and I can try to clarify better if needed.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Yesterday, 17:10
You don't need to navigate the recordset in the list, you need to use 'varItem.' 'varItem' will contain the data you need to identify the selected student.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom