Multi-user password (1 Viewer)

javajom

Javajon
Local time
Today, 03:05
:Hi,
At the moment I'm writing a production database for work, which include parts in/out, production planning, kitting lists and other forms. What I'm after is a way that when the database opens it asks for a password and depending what it is, is what you can do. Administrator can do all, Stores can only enter parts and scheduler can only enter planning and so on.

How easy is this? :eek:

Moniker

VBA Pro
Local time
Yesterday, 21:05
You can't differentiate the password without handling it in a custom manner (as in writing your own routine to do it). You'd use Workgroup security and then each user gets their own name and password, each with various rights (the admin has everything, store managers get certain things, etc.).

If you have a lot of turnover and don't want to have to constantly add/remove users, administer passwords, etc., then set yourself as the admin, and then make generic names/passwords for each specific role. For example, the scheduler may be called scheduleuser and the pass is IMakeSchedules. That way, anyone that is a scheduler can know that name and password.

The problem with the latter suggestion is that a single name/password combination can be learned or passed along by anyone, including those you don't want to have such access, and it also makes it difficult to track who did what since they all have the same name.

Therefore, individual user name/password combinations are better for security and tracking and are the recommended method, but you have a few different choices.

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:05
Hi,

i have done something similar in the past. i set up a user table with various boolean fields letting me choose what the user could / could not view. i would set these options on adding the user or through an admin related form. then on opening the database, depending on who was logging in would restrict the forms available for viewing.

i suppose another way could be to have a checking code on just about every button that would check the users rights on every click. you could have hidden fields on a main form that would hold the rights ( ticked or unticked ). so, when you clicked a button or whatever you were doing, the button wold check the hidden fields and if the value was false, then no access to whatever they wanted.

it works for me.

my coding probably isnt "correct method" but it works and is quite logical.

regs,

NS

Local time
Yesterday, 22:05
Another VB solution, which would be simplist in my opinion would be to use 'Select Case' behind a startup form which prompts for a password. then, each case, based on the password (admin, schedule, whatever) leads to a separate form from which the user can access their respective utilities. I know im not laying this out too clearly...but if your interested I can elaborate

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom